Menu

Calculating GPA question

I "thought" I knew how to do this. Sigh.:confused:

I'm so frustrated. Long story short... My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I lost a lot of stuff. I could only find an ancient version of Excel to install today and the downloadable GPA calculators do not work with it.

I'm frustrated and angry right now.:confused:

Could someone please tell me how to calculate a GPA? Deadlines are looming!

I've got my grading scale and my points scale:

A = 90- 100 and 4 points

B = 80 - 89 and 3 points

etc.

My confusion is mainly over .5 credit courses. If an A was earned in a .5 credit course is that 2 points??

Could someone please explain using the following example:

English , 1 credit, grade A

Math, 1 credit, grade B

History, .5 credit, grade C

Science, 1 credit, grade B

Also: what about Pass/Fail courses? Like PE.... it is listed on the transcript, but do I include any points in the GPA? It gets a half credit. What do I do with that?

Thanks a triple ton!!!!

:chillpill: Chill Pam Chill :chillpill:

:tongue_smilie:

I think, that it's still 4 pts -- I know in college (where you multiply Points per class x hours) that it's weighted, so a C in a 1 hour class didn't drag down your GPA as much as a C in a 3 hour class.

But in high school, I didn't earn half an A... or half a B. Grades were figured (final) for semester, so full-year courses weren't a full credit for the semester, they were half a credit, like this:

Semester 1

English, .5 credit = A = 4.0

Math, .5 credit = B = 3.0

History, .5 credit = C = 2.0

Science, .5 credit = B = 3.0

Semester 1 GPA = 3.0

Semester 2

English, .5 credit = A = 4.0

Math, .5 credit = B = 3.0

Geog*, .5 credit = A = 4.0

Science, .5 credit = B = 3.0

Semester 2 GPA = 3.5

Overall GPA = 3.25

GPA = total points/ total grades (easy)

Since the full year courses are graded at equal intervals, you don't have to multiply credit hours.

Same method applies to trimester. You are awarded a grade per 1/3 of the total. So, you earn .33 credits a trimester per class.

In college courses, classes are different credit hours per semester.

You take the points, multiply by the credit hours, and divide by total credit hours to arrive at the GPA

(College example_

English, 3 hours= A = 4.0 = 12.0

Math, 3 hours = B = 3.0 = 9.0

History, 2 hours = C = 2.0= 4.0

PE 1 hour = A = 4.0= 4.0

Total points (29) divided by total hours (9) = 3.22 GPA

Edited by LisaK in VA
additional information

Could someone please explain using the following example:

English , 1 credit, grade A

Math, 1 credit, grade B

History, .5 credit, grade C

Science, 1 credit, grade B

English: 1 x 4 = 4 grade points

Math: 1 x 3 = 3 grade points

History: .5 x 2 = 1 grade point

Science: 1 x 3 = 3 grade points

total grade points = 4 + 3 + 1 + 3 = 11 grade points

GPA = total grade points/credits = 11/3.5= 3.1 GPA

HTH

So, there are different methods with different outcomes?

Also, since this is for the years we lived in Louisiana, and there I had given grades for PE, I am keeping a grade for PE and not counting it as Pass/Fail.

Thanks so much everyone!

I guess the answer is, it depends.

When I was in school in CA, and GA and FL, and I had "final" grades each semester. Each semester (even in full year courses like English) started out fresh. Quarterly grades were only a benchmark. I never earned a full credit in a semester, they were always half. Our umbrella school in IL did figure it differently, as we only received one final grade at the end of the year.

My transcript was a pretty sight. Especially since the umbrella school I went to didn't "accept" weighted grades from my previous schools. They converted to their system. UGH.

I believe that there should be just one outcome. A class that is only one semester long should not have the same impact on the GPA as a class that is year long.

Regards,

Kareni

And I concur with Kareni. There is one GPA for a given set of grades and the grading scale used. In other words, if Honors or AP classes are weighted differently, that will be seen in the GPA because the grading scale is different. (In most cases, an A in an Honors class is worth 4.5 x the number of credits.)

I believe that there should be just one outcome. A class that is only one semester long should not have the same impact on the GPA as a class that is year long.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, likewise, a class that is two semesters long is like having two grades of 0.5 credits each.