Menu

supplementing CLE Math

buttercup

We do CLE and supplement with Math Mammoth. Dd did CLE 1-3 and we love everything about it, but at that point I felt she was getting a little formulaic in her thinking (could do the problems but not necessarily say why in some cases) so we added in MM for conceptual work and that really frosted the cake nicely for us-lots of a-ha moments. So much so that I'm going to use the same combo for younger ds.

I was going to add in Singapore for both of them but it was so much more complicated than MM, with all the HIGs, etc. I feel like MM is doing the same job in a more streamlined way.

When you supplement using Singapore or Math Mammoth how does your schedule work for this and with Singapore what books do you use for supplementation?

:bigear::bigear: Would love to hear from HappyGrace on this one . . . but spelling out how you use MM with the CLE without burning out you or the child. I like both, own both, want to use both (for different reasons) but . . . it just seems like too much. I'm at a cross roads so I am all ears on this one!!

For CLE/MM-I use CLE for the spiral to help keep older topics fresh, and I like how it teaches to the student, and is "traditional" scope and sequence, and MM we use for conceptual.

1. DD10, non-mathy-she is doing CLE 404 (she was debilitated with Lyme disease all last winter so got behind; should be starting 501 in Sept., but we'll catch back up by June.) and is midway through MM 3. I started her back in MM2 last spring to make sure she wouldn't miss anything, and we cherry-picked only what she needed work on, same with MM3.

All that to say, the level she is at in MM is review for her for now, but it is helping her understand the concepts much more deeply. We do a CLE lesson every day, as that is our "main" program, and about a page in MM. I will sometimes cross out some of the review problems in CLE for topics she is very solid on to allow time for MM. I will also sometimes either cross out problems in MM, or do them orally with her.

2. Dd7 is the opposite, very mathy. When we ended in June, he was in CLE 201 and starting MM2. I don't want him to go to quickly in MM2 and then hit a wall, so we'll go slowly through it, maybe half a page per day if it's a harder topic. I will do a page a day if it was something easier. CLE is every day, our main program. I do some of the CLE orally with him, skipping whatever he is solid on (he grasps quickly, does not need as much review as dd), which will make more time for MM. I'm toying with only doing MM 3x/wk because he also loves MEP and I want to do that a couple times/wk.

I do not worry at all about matching up topics, etc. I figure we will hit it first in one of the programs and the other will be a nice review or solidifier. I am comfortable with telescoping the programs as needed by cherry picking through if it's understood completely, or crossing out problems or doing them orally. I'm also not married anymore to having to complete a "year" of each curric in a year. Sometimes we go faster or slower. I just want them to really understand the math, so we may spend more or less time as needed.

Dd is not thrilled about doing both programs but I can see how much it is helping her. MM is a lot easier to use as a supplement than Singapore-now THAT was killing us, lol!

Not sure if that was helpful-feel free to ask if I didn't answer what you needed!

Well, I started this summer using CLE as a supplement to Rightstart but we've flip flopped. We'll be doing CLE 4xweek and playing RS games or doing the lessons that reinforce the new concepts CLE introduced (ex, decimals). We're going to start for the new year next week so we'll see how that goes. I could see us flip flopping back again at some point if he gets burned out on workbooks.