Menu

Bike locks for campus??

KnitWit

Okay, we know nothing about this. My daughter has always had her bike in our garage. LOL!

She wants to take her bike to school. The only place to keep it is locked outside the buildings. They cannot even bring them in the dorms.

Anyone have a recommendation on bike locks? There are too many choices. LOL!

TIA!

U-bolt locks. The security office on the campus where I work recommends those, through the frame. My son uses an extra cable lock to wind through the front tire and the frame, so the front tire is more difficult to steal. Your best bet is to get your daughter a beater bike that she can have on campus during her four years, especially if she is very attached to the one she has now.

U-bolt locks. The security office on the campus where I work recommends those, through the frame. My son uses an extra cable lock to wind through the front tire and the frame, so the front tire is more difficult to steal. Your best bet is to get your daughter a beater bike that she can have on campus during her four years, especially if she is very attached to the one she has now.

:iagree: Many years ago, I had just the back wheel of my bike in a cable lock on a college campus and somebody stole my front wheel. It was an easy thing to do. The U-bolt is hard to cut through, but you can cut through a cable. Nonetheless, the front wheel is cheaper to replace and a cable will discourage a potential thief. You'll definitely want a U-bolt for the back.

I always just used a cable lock, and never had any problems. But then, my bike was quite beat up and had a big ol' child seat on the back (that I used to carry my heavy back pack when DD wasn't with me). It also didn't have quick-release wheels or seat, which are invitations to thieves unless you're actually going to haul them with you every time you lock it up or cable lock them.

I'd say use a steel U-lock plus cable for any long stretches (like overnight), and just one or the other for short stints (or when she's going to have to get moving quickily, like those get-a-mile-across-campus-in-15-minutes-between-classes situations.