Menu

I want to be sure I'm on the right track...

micheller1

I'm a new homeschooler. These are my plans. We started school today. I feel mildly competent. I've read THE book.

I have a 12 yo, 10 yo, and 8 yo.

12 yo - MM, GWG, Soaring w Spelling, SOTW1, RS4K (plus extra science stuff), Writing Strands3, Lots of Reading

10 yo - MM, GWG, Soaring w Spelling, SOTW1, RS4K (plus extra), Writing Strands3, Lots of Reading

8 yo - Extra phonics practice, McGuffy Readers, MM, GWG, Soaring w Spelling, SOTW1, RS4K (plus extra), Writing Strands 2, copywork

I'm a little stressed really about the reading - I don't have a set literature program. Not that I need anything set or necessarily want anything set but I want them to be reading good books and I want to be sure they are comprehending.

Any suggestions on lists and questions would be great. I found an Abeka book at goodwill and I thought now that's a good reader! It's very low level, maybe for my 8 yo...

Any way, I'm definitely rambling now. Suggestions helpful!

I hope you have a terrific 1st year. And, please, don't be surprised when one of your well-researched programs doesn't work so well for one of your kids. Be flexible. Modifying to match one kids learning style is one great plus for why we homeschool. And I think that all of us would admit that some part of our 1st year plans went splat! I started with the "I'll homeschool them for free" method, which lasted a whole 2 months before I bought a year of Abeka materials, which lasted for part of 6 months. Let's just say that it's a good thing poor ds was in K at the time and the amount of learning that needed to take place was not terribly high! LOL You've done FAR more planning than I ever did! Good job!

Your plans look very good. For the oldest one, you might want to make sure that the "lots of reading" part are books that you approve and not just the common fiction library books. By 12, a child, IMHO, should be reading junior versions of classics (Sutcliff's version of Homer's Odyssey, for example).

a list of recommendations would be appreciated. I've actually looked at the sonlight list of readers for each of my kids levels - and was thinking of going with that?

ETA: I'm completely flexible - i know my kids pretty well and i'm completely ready to ditch something it it's not working!

For literature ideas, maybe you could look at book list from programs like Ambleside Online or the Sonlight catalog. I use SL because I like getting all the books in one big package and I don't have to plan. But if I were a little less of a box checker, I'd just peruse their catalog for whatever books look interesting and get them at the library.

a list of recommendations would be appreciated. I've actually looked at the sonlight list of readers for each of my kids levels - and was thinking of going with that?

Oh, we posted at the same time. I really like having the SL readers (you can probably get them cheaper at Amazon). If you're kids are strong readers, the schedule may not be all that useful. I've started letting my kids read at their own pace, so I'll have to supplement with books from the library. It's a great starting place, though.