Menu

Plans changed and we are starting to homeschool in a couple weeks, complete newbie!

Greeny

So, long story short I am finishing up my BSN and the plan was that we would start HS when I was finished and we would have a K and a 2nd grader. Well just yesterday, after a series of mostly uninteresting events, we decided that we are going to start homeschooling this year with our oldest in 1st grade.

I am a mix of completely excited and terrified/overwhelmed. I have had a rough idea of what I wanted to do and the curriculum I've wanted to use for awhile, but I spent the majority of today researching and reading about lots of different options and approaches.

This is what I have come up with so far:

Math - Saxon grade 1

Science - Nancy Larson Science 1 (has anyone used this? thoughts?)

History - Story of the World Vol. 1 with activity book (Should I get the test booklet? I have heard mixed things)

supplementing with Usborne (do I need to the Kingfisher too?)

English - Phonics for Reading and Spelling by Bonnie Dettmer

Reading together for 30 minutes and having him read level appropriate books for another 30 minutes

Extra curricular - Soccer and dance (style yet to be determined)

How does this sound? Because of my schedule, I am hoping to do the bulk of school T-Th with light days Mon and Fri. Does that seem feasible?

Also, does anyone have any information on good art or music curriculum?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am so excited to do this, but equally overwhelmed.

OK, I am probably going to get stoned for this, but I personally do not test in the first year of the history cycle. For me its about exposure. I give them LOTS of exposure so that when they do the second cycle they get a MUCH better understanding. I will orally quiz, but I do not do regular tests until the 2nd cycle through in history. I do test in math and spelling but that is it for the most part. If the curriculum I do (such as in science) has a review I will do that but that is it for 1st-4th. However, 3rd and 4th I will expect more retention and I do orally quiz OFTEN.

As for art, we do art with science, history and geography. We do not do a seperate art curriculum. We do composer studies and such for music (as well as kids music cd's to learn the popular kids songs that all kids should know :001_smile:)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Does that seem feasible?

Also, does anyone have any information on good art or music curriculum?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am so excited to do this, but equally overwhelmed.

Many here, including me, like Artistic Pursuits. For music, we really, really liked just listening to the Vox Music Masters

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Bach-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000001KCL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281244523&sr=1-1

in the car or while coloring.

Yes, you can do it!! (Of course, everyone gets told that here, but it is mainly true). 1st grade is young. Don't panic about "falling behind" while you get into stride. 20 years from now, no one will know. Getting your stride without making anyone miserable is your very first order of business.

HTH, and come back with more questions anytime. :001_smile:

Skip the SOTW tests for a first grader. I like them for my older dc to keep them honest, but for a first grader, I'd just chat as you read and call it done.

Add handwriting. I like Zaner Bloser. Easy peasey.

Possibly spelling depending on what program you'll use. (I like SWO, and would start with A assuming your child is reading a bit, as it sounds like he is.)

I'm a non-history tester too. In fact I'm not testing much on the second cycle. I am having them write a lot more this time through. Narrations, notebooking and paragraphs about what they've read.

I'd much rather that they be able to still TELL me about a civilization a few weeks (or months) later than that they can pass a matching or fill in the blank test.

Now if I lived in a state where I had to produce portfolios, then a test sheet might be just the sort of paperwork to confuse the Midianites.

Looks great! I have a first grader as well and use SOTW, and do not do any tests (for anything).

I'm very interested in Nancy Larson science, I only just recently found it after we started RSO. I think I'll get Nancy Larson anyway to check out, it looks fabulous.

For art, we're using Artistic Pursuits and Meet the Masters.

OK, I am probably going to get stoned for this, but I personally do not test in the first year of the history cycle. For me its about exposure. I give them LOTS of exposure so that when they do the second cycle they get a MUCH better understanding. I will orally quiz, but I do not do regular tests until the 2nd cycle through in history. I do test in math and spelling but that is it for the most part. If the curriculum I do (such as in science) has a review I will do that but that is it for 1st-4th. However, 3rd and 4th I will expect more retention and I do orally quiz OFTEN.

As for art, we do art with science, history and geography. We do not do a seperate art curriculum. We do composer studies and such for music (as well as kids music cd's to learn the popular kids songs that all kids should know :001_smile:)

:iagree:I don't think you really need to test for history or science till around 3rd ish. If you can get them to narrate back to you what you have talked about with some success...your golden. I chose R&S Art for my kids this year because it actually teaches art concepts, not just directions for a fun craft, and it's very affordable. Don't get me wrong, we love a good craft, but we are going to learn about colors, shading, perspective, etc. also. My kids are a part of a local 4H chapter that offers beginning art, which is mostly crafts, and an advanced art that is for older kids and they learn to work with oil paints, watercolors, and charcoals. It has been a real blessing to me since I have a hard time getting that done at home. Most the kids are homeschoolers and they have a great time hanging out together. I am saving the exposure to the 'great artists' till later, maybe 8th or high school, simply because I don't think they give a rip at this age, so why bother.

I was a student while homeschooling. No art. You can let them draw their narrations. That is plenty. That is plenty of time for schoolwork. I wouldn't use a science curriculum. I would pre-plan some topics (TWTM has a list). Check out library books and DVD's. Do a notebook page and done. If you have an experiment lover do some fun stuff like volcanoes, grow seeds, etc. We love Delta Science kits. But, you would want to not do the workbooks. My Grade 1 special needs student had fun with them this last year. I love that it was the first year I did not need to buy supplies. The ones that might be fun are Bubbles, Jets, magnets, and plants.

Thanks for the input! It is nice to know I am not the only person trying to do this while also being a student myself :D.

I will definitely check out those art different curriculums because I do want something that teaches concepts and techniques related to art instead of just crafts.

I am very excited about the Nancy Larson curriculum being a science major myself it looks like the best one for the least amount of prep work which for our schedule is going to be important.

Please keep the excellent info coming! I am a total sponge right now :bigear: