Menu

If you cook Thai- or Malaysian-style food, can you talk to me about curry?

My only experience is with what I consider an Indian-style red curry paste, which we like, but I've been dying to cook Thai food for awhile now. I've found some simple recipes, but they all call for yellow or Panang (or Penang?) curry powder or paste. Is there a preferred brand? Blend? Type? Source? I need baby steps here, because I know nothing whatsoever except that I like to eat it!

TIA!

• 1 month later...

I made this last night, and it was delicious. Be sure to read the reviews if you want to make it.

Thai Pineapple Chicken Curry

I used Thai Kitchen red curry paste and 1 Tbs was plenty. 1/4 cup would have made it inedible. Also, I sauted the curry paste with the chicken first, then added the other ingredients. Once you add the peppers, you only need to cook it for about 3 minutes, otherwise they'll get soggy. And I served the pineapple as a side dish since my kids weren't sure they wanted it mixed in.

I also added a slurry of 2 Tbs cornstarch and 2 Tbs water at the end to thicken it up.

I'm eating leftovers now for lunch. Sooooo good!

This is one of my absolute favorite curry recipes--it's a fairly generic curry, not specifically Thai or Malaysian or Indian, but it's different from the red curry you've been making and maybe will have more of the creamy curry taste you're looking for. When I make it, it's a struggle to save any for anybody else since I like it so much.

Cook’s Illustrated’s Chicken Curry in a Hurry

Serves 4

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 onion, sliced thin

1/2 to 1 tablespoon curry powder (depending on how spicy your powder is and how spicy you like the dish--add more or less)

Salt

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger

½ cup water

2 cups shredded of thinly sliced cooked chicken

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 cup frozen peas

1/4 cup raisins (golden raisins are better)

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (actually, I use my store of chopped frozen)

1. BUILD CURRY BASE: Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, curry powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. ADD WATER, MEAT, VEGETABLES, AND COOK: Stir in water, meat, chickpeas, peas, and raisins. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.

3. GARNISH AND SERVE: Off heat, stir in yogurt and cilantro and serve. Over brown rice is a good option. (But then so is just slurping up the stuff with a straw.)