Menu

american history activity guide?

Murphy101

I'd love to find an activity guide like in SOTW for american history only.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Secular or umm "lightly protestant" like SOTW would be fine.

If by some freak chance there's a piece of Catholic curriculum I haven't already purchased, I'd be thrilled to get a lead for that too.:D

We had an absolutely blast doing vol 1 and 2 of SOTW, but are focusing on American history next year. upper elementary and/or middle school would be the focus.

You do know that SOTW III and IV are heavily American in focus? You could do just the chapters on America and skip the rest, if you wanted, I guess.

Also, Hakim's History of US is all American. The index book provides source documents. There are book recs at the end of every chapter, I think (I can look; I own the set). You can get tests and teaching guides online and through homeschool catalogs, too, I think.

I'd love to find an activity guide like in SOTW for american history only.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Secular or umm "lightly protestant" like SOTW would be fine.

If by some freak chance there's a piece of Catholic curriculum I haven't already purchased, I'd be thrilled to get a lead for that too.:D

We had an absolutely blast doing vol 1 and 2 of SOTW, but are focusing on American history next year. upper elementary and/or middle school would be the focus.

A little bit different than what you are asking for, but they look so good and are purely AH focused that I thought I would mention them. Have you seen the Time Travelers group of resources from http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com? This is the list of the ones they have so far:

Time Travelers Series History Studies:

"New World Explorers"

"Colonial Life"

"The American Revolution"

"The Early 19th Century"

They are worth looking into IMHO. :)

Wow that time travelers series might just what we are looking for! Lots of projects there.

You do know that SOTW III and IV are heavily American in focus? You could do just the chapters on America and skip the rest, if you wanted, I guess.

Also, Hakim's History of US is all American. The index book provides source documents. There are book recs at the end of every chapter, I think (I can look; I own the set). You can get tests and teaching guides online and through homeschool catalogs, too, I think.

I might look again at those volumes. I just remember being not impressed with the projects in v3 compared to the first 2 volumes.

Does anyone know if there's a link to samples pages of the Hakim's study guide? Is the study guide just reference other books or is it project based?

Some activity books are just busy worksheets and that's not what I'm interested in, kwim?

thanks for helping!

I have found two good series for activities for American history,

For Kids series, titles like "The Civil War for Kids" or "World War II for Kids", these have great text and some really good projects, things like growing a victory garden and a game to learn about ration stamps.

Great Projects, titles like "Great Pioneer Projects You Can Build Yourself" and "Great Civil War Projects You Can Build Yourself" these are really fun and include things like making a working pin hole camera from the Civil war period, making a log house and a soddie from items like pretzels and brownies from the pioneer one. These also have very good text and pictures. You can also download these free from wowio if you join.

I second the recommendation of "Great Pioneer Projects..." and "Great Civil War Projects". I also have "Great Colonial Projects" and "Great World War ll Projects". These books are great! They have cool projects plus lots of interesting text and pictures. I had downloaded them free from wowio but later bought the books from Amazon when I saw how good they were (I hate e-books).

I have not tried them, but here is a series for you:

Pioneer Days: Discover the Past With Fun Projects, Games, Activities and Recipes

Civil War Days

Colonial Days

Victorian Days

WW2 Days

Wild West Days

Revolutionary War Days

and then there is A Pioneer Sampler. No projects from what I can tell, but looks very good.

oh -oh I want those too!:drool5:

I'm such a curriculum projects junkie!

Can anyone compare these for me and say which they liked better?

I have a history spine already and plenty of additional reading references, but it's the projects themselves that I'm interested in.

I'm leaning towards these Discover the Past with Fun Projects books as I'm thinking I don't need the lapbook/text stuff in the previous suggestion?

Wowio is a web-site that offers 4 free book downloads a day. It is at http://www.wowio.com

I have used the Great project books I mentioned getting from Wowio, The For Kids series, and the American Kids in History series which includes all the Colonial Days, WWII Days, etc. I love them all.

The American Kids in History series is written more for a younger audience and includes a story about at least 2 different families during that time period and spans 4 seasons or 1 year. For instance the Civil War Days one had the story about a northern family and a southern family and had projects, games, and recipes for each season and described how the family lived, things they did, etc. In this book the stories are fictional.

The Great Project series is for maybe older elementary through middle school age dc and includes interesting text and projects. I really like these books and am in the middle of printing off and binding the Egypt, Leonardo DaVinchi, Greek, and Rome ones for next year.:D Ds really enjoyed the projects we did from this series.

The For Kids series is also a book with factual text and interesting projects. These books are probably geared more for middle thru high school age and some of the projects are more in depth. We really like these too, although we seemed to do more projects from the Great Projects series.

WAIT!

is the great projects series the same as the discover the past with fun projects series?:confused:

off to check that out...

okay, nope not the same...

that site is really hard to navigate? is there not any way to make the search easier vs wading through 100's of titles or getting nothing?

thanks again ladies!