Menu

Health for upper elementary?

Stacey in NY

Not sure if you have boys or girls, but for fourth grade, my daughter and I just read through "The Care & Keeping Of You, The Body Book For Girls" and one called (I think) "The Feelings Book, The Care & Keeping Of Your Emotions."

Both were by American Girl Library.

Other than that, "health" involved age appropriate discussion and conversation as things came up, proper hygiene, a section on nutrition for science and so on. And we also went on a tour of an ambulance co and saw a first aid slide show and a paramedic talked to our group, I guess that could be Health, too.

I didn't really think anything else all that formal was necessary in regard to like a specific curriculum or anything.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Does it have to say "Health" in the title? Jeannie Fulbright said that her new Anatomy & Physiology could count for a .5 health credit for high school so if that's a possibility I'm sure it would be more than enough for upper elementary.

We are in NY, so they are pretty strict about you listing curriculum even for health, otherwise, I would just deal with topics as they come up, and use the occasional library book and on-line resources. I have 2 ds ages 9 &11.

This is what I've done, along with those American Girl books mentioned. I also had my 6th graders last year do a Human Body unit, which covered all body systems.

Someone a while ago linked a Scholastic Health magazine for grades 4-7; it's 8 issues and has a Teacher's Guide. I was thinking of maybe getting that this year. It has "Health" in the title and is ps approved - that should make those NY regulators happy! Here's the link.

Im using Health & Safety Curriculum; Frank schaffer publications (listed on my IHIP ) It covers all the basic stuff. Im sure we will use other things as well but I know NY needs something..

and I also said that we would also cover on day to day activities and discussion.

I have a 7th gr. boy, 7 yr. old and 5 year old girls doing health together this year.

I have it listed on the left side of my blog under Tom's homeschool books.

Basically, I have taken all the reproducible books (human body) and printed all the pages at about 70 %. I took extra large paper and folded it over making them "lapbookish" ;) but still looks better for an older child.

I have the Abeka health 7 (and others) which Tom will read. I will skim the health books and make notebook pages for certain "subjects" that are not included in the reprod. books.

Oh yeah! He also will do lapbook booklets from a free lapbook I have. :)

Everything will be divided by human body "parts". Bones, Muscles, teeth, different systems, etc.

This is all ready in a binder (A very large binder). :D

The girls' binder is alot less work.

I wish I could show you "my plan" for this. :001_smile:

I wonder if anyone has suggestions for using Survival Skills for a health topic, I could include first -aid. My oldest ds11 is particularly interested in this type of training right now. I am thinking to include disaster preparedness? What do people think? Are there any suggestions for books or curriculum for this topic?