Menu

Bit of humor at the CC today

Miss Marple

So I'm taking ds#2 to the local college to find out where his classrooms are, where he parks, get a parking sticker and student ID, etc.

I thought that since I was there and the line in the Bursar's office was short, I'd go ahead and pay the tuition there rather than do it online. Three ladies were working, 2 were helping other students, so I approached the open booth. She asked what I wanted and I told her I'd like to pay tuition. She said, "I'm sorry, but I can't take money." Um....that's a first...usually everyone wants my money - and at the BURSARS OFFICE!!!??? She then went on to say that she had only worked there for a week and had no computer log-ins yet. Um....everything is on computer, this lady is hired...to do what for the past week?????? She did say that someone else could help me, but I decided to just pay online.:tongue_smilie:

Then we went to get the student ID card. We were informed that they had run out...it would be several weeks before they had more in stock...but it really doesn't matter...ds doesn't need a student ID to attend class :lol:

The lady who had only been working for a week is probably spending this time shadowing the other ladies and attending other campus wide training prior to being issued her own log-in. In addition, technology departments are always behind schedule this time of year getting new computers ready and issued or doing networking and issuing her a log-in probably isn't high on their priority list.

As for the ID, at a community college it's not as big a deal since you usually don't need to show it for the cafeteria. You will need it for the library and maybe a computer lab but if the campus has run out they will most likely be lenient until they have come in. At our library we aren't sticklers about IDs until after Labor Day.

The lady who had only been working for a week is probably spending this time shadowing the other ladies and attending other campus wide training prior to being issued her own log-in. In addition, technology departments are always behind schedule this time of year getting new computers ready and issued or doing networking and issuing her a log-in probably isn't high on their priority list.

Yeah, I get that, but *why* have her manning a window at the Bursar's office when she wasn't equipped to do anything? It was just too funny that the place that loves to take the money couldn't take money because their employee wasn't yet trained. Now if she had been behind one of the other ladies watching the transactions, I would have understood better, but she was *in charge* of a window.

We had that kind of day at the CC too. In May of '08, dd slam dunked the placement test, with a recommended placement in honors English. At the time, she decided to try a classical high school instead of starting classes at the CC. But when she went in to register today she was told she had to retake the placement test because her scores had expired. The counselor said he needed to be sure she could still handle college work. :confused: 'Cause what, her brain had slowly leaked out her left ear over the past two years? Why would she go from scoring into English 107 to scoring into remedial work??

Barb

My college doesn't accept cash for many school events, or things like T-shirts. So students end up having to pay with a check or pay online. It's very frustrating, but apparently the reason is that the school is only allowed to have so much cash on hand at once. When I first saw the lady's comment I thought maybe it was a case like that!

It could be they have her manning the window to answer general questions? It certainly does seem odd. Then again, I don't think that very many people would be coming up asking to go ahead and pay their tuition, in the office, ahead of time.

But when she went in to register today she was told she had to retake the placement test because her scores had expired. The counselor said he needed to be sure she could still handle college work. :confused: 'Cause what, her brain had slowly leaked out her left ear over the past two years? Why would she go from scoring into English 107 to scoring into remedial work??

Barb

Don't you love bureaucracies? Even if the rules don't make sense, we gotta' follow the rules.

Yolanda

We had that kind of day at the CC too. In May of '08, dd slam dunked the placement test, with a recommended placement in honors English. At the time, she decided to try a classical high school instead of starting classes at the CC. But when she went in to register today she was told she had to retake the placement test because her scores had expired. The counselor said he needed to be sure she could still handle college work. :confused: 'Cause what, her brain had slowly leaked out her left ear over the past two years? Why would she go from scoring into English 107 to scoring into remedial work??

Barb

The policy here is the test (ACT/SAT or CPT) have to have been taken w/in 2 yrs. since she took it in May 08 she's officially past that. :glare:

Believe it or not, but many people DO drop levels in scores. It's unlikely with your kid, but if an 18 yr old takes the test, then spends 3 years working in a factory and playing Nintendo when he's off work, he's very likely to drop a level. He's also very likely to refuse to admit it. It kinda stinks for you, but at least she should blow the placement test away again :P