Menu

So, is there anything NOT good about the Artemis Fowl series?

SoCal Sandra

Can't remember why, but I vaguely remember finding it tedious without depth. The story is just another series-story, but I gave up on it b/c of the style. Yuck. I know I'm outnumbered though - many like it! As far as I'm concerned, the fantansy/magic stuff is OK as long as it's reasonably balanced with other lit.

If you like the magic and fantasy themed stuff, we really enjoyed the Charlie Bone series. We're doing the Garth Nix "Keys to the Kingdom" series now. It's OK, but took a book or two to get captured. The story isn't always "smooth", but still rather clever, so we're sticking it out. How about the Fablehaven series?

:-) Stacey in MA

Can't remember why, but I vaguely remember finding it tedious without depth. The story is just another series-story, but I gave up on it b/c of the style. Yuck. I know I'm outnumbered though - many like it!

:iagree:

Plus, I don't like when children's books use an unnecessary amount of what I consider bad language. I remember thinking that about this book and "Inkheart" especially.

I don't think anyone would argue it's great literature, but it's a decent storyline. I haven't read the latest book, but over the previous books the main character matures & develops a conscience. I think concerns about the series glorifying criminality are misplaced. I enjoyed reading it with my eldest & look forward to reading it again with my girls, though it's having to wait until they've finished the Percy jackson series.

I enjoyed Artemis Fowl a great deal. Yes, they are formulaic, but still decent writing. I think they are comparable to Gregor the Overlander.

I did not think the books glorified criminality; rather, they are very James-Bond-esque in a 11yo kid sort of way.

The books do include morality and making good choices--I feel the presentation of this is both clear and well done.

There's a little potty humor but really not much. ***SPOILER ALERT--SCROLL DOWN*********

The potty humor comes in the person of Mulch Diggums, a dwarf. In the series, dwarfs make tunnels by chewing/gnawing their way through the earth. The tunnels are self-sealing--in other words, what the dwarf takes in, he blasts out the other end. Also because of their tunneling ability and unusual diet dwarfs are prone to powerful gas emissions out that end. It's not described in graphic detail, and is treated somewhat clinically. There are a couple points (NOT constant at all--just a couple points in the series) wherein the dwarf uses his explosive gas emissions as a weapon to blast someone away.

While Mulch is a major character, the story focuses most on Artemis, his bodyguard, and one fairy.

It's fine. Kids love it. It's not poorly written. The humor is clever and not (usually) fart joke kind of stuff. It's good boy stuff.

I don't love it myself. When the first book came out years ago, kids got me to read it and I just found it too cool - you know what I mean? But even though it's not my taste, I would absolutely give it to a 10 yo boy asking for a good book.