Menu

Discovery Education Streaming Favorites...

We just got a subscription to DE Streaming and I am so excited to add it to our school day! I am a bit overwhelmed searching for videos as I can't seem to find a list of sorts of what they have available, just the search tool.

I have found these videos:

The Magic School Bus

Animated Hero Classics

Jeff Corwin

Bill Nye the Science Guy

What are some of your favorites? No specific subject.

I have also heard people using it to teach foreign language. Is there a specific program that does it, or are they just using videos in that language? (I think I need to play with the search feature more.)

**Also, if there is some sort of "list", can someone please let me know where to find it? I think I just have the basic version and not the Plus.

Thank you! :001_smile:

Edited by King Alfred Academy

Is this better then netflix's ?

Can you share more about it ?

Is it pricey, for netflix I pay $8.99 month and we love it for the educational shows and all the shows my entire family enjoys.

What is the difference between this and netflix and how do you watch this, is it also through the wii ?

Thanks for any information you can give me about it, I am always looking for a way to get more informational shows into our home for our children and family.

Is it pricey, for netflix I pay $8.99 month and we love it for the educational shows and all the shows my entire family enjoys.

What is the difference between this and netflix and how do you watch this, is it also through the wii ?

Thanks for any information you can give me about it, I am always looking for a way to get more informational shows into our home for our children and family.

I can't really answer this as I just got DE Streaming yesterday. Hopefully someone with experience with both can answer it. Sorry.

I do know there is more available educationally on DE though.

Liberty's Kids is a huge favorite at our house.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Anyone else have favorite series or videos?

I also just got our subscription, and am a bit overwhelmed myself. I did just find the "Teacher Center" and it has helped to organize/suggest videos a bit.

I do have one question, if anyone who has this can answer. I am a little disappointed that we can't watch the video's in full screen w/o them getting all grainy. I even went out and bought a $50 cord so that we can watch the videos on our television, but the screen can't get any bigger w/o distorting the video. (I am watching it at 700kbps, which I believe is the highest number as far as quality.) So is there anyway to watch these videos w/o them being only (approx.) 6" x 8" ?

Thanks...

Carla, I'm not aware of any way to make the screen bigger without losing resolution. I hope Discovery will someday upgrade the resolution of their offerings. It isn't impossible, as Netflix and many other online video providers offer full-screen programming with decent to excellent resolution. I'm sure it comes down to money.

Liberty's Kids is great. We watch it via Netflix hooked up to our TV, with very good image quality.

Elementary Spanish hasn't been mentioned yet. That's a fantastic DE Streaming program!

All of the Planet Earth videos are available and I'm sure the new Life ones will be too at some point.

I second the Spanish. It's very good.

I usually just search by topic and go from there. It's a great resource as I'm always able to find things for both ds and dd.

The Planet Earth videos on Discovery have a different narrator than the DVDs.

Some states can get Discovery Streaming for free. We are one of them (yea) through our PBS stations, so you may want to check if it's free in your state before purchasing.

We use Netflix so much more than Discovery - although I do get some good video clips through them.

All of the Planet Earth videos are available and I'm sure the new Life ones will be too at some point.

I second the Spanish. It's very good.

I usually just search by topic and go from there. It's a great resource as I'm always able to find things for both ds and dd.

This is good to know! We are doing Earth science this year! :001_smile:

We have both and what I really like about US is that the videos are searchable and you can watch segments if that is all you need. I also like that you have access to the worksheets and teacher helps. I use it for images too. There are interactive games as well. It is diff from netflix in that the videos are usually shorter because they are used in a school setting and need to be shorter. There is more selection than netflix for the videos too. There are thousands. I like to research and pick videos that will go well with our weekly plan and put them in a special contents file. It makes things easier. It is not associated with the Wii or any video game system. It is an online subscription. HTHs!