Menu

x post WWI era audiobooks or radio theater

We love to listen to FOF radio theater or audiobooks like Weiss' Henty recordings while we are on vacation. We will be taking a trip soon and we will be in the middle of WWI. I'm drawing a blank on literature or history selections. ( I even found a radio theater version of the Battle of Shiloh for the Civil War last year.) Any suggestions?

Christine

This audio is more thirties and forties but might be of interest.

Radio Comedy Classics: Jack Benny Program and Fred Allen Show

A couple of videos I'd recommend:

“The Butcher Boyâ€, “The Garage†and “Rough House†from The Best Arbuckle Keaton Collection (video)

Inherit the Wind (video)

Regards,

Kareni

There is a site where we have bought many old radio shows as mp3. Most are post WWI. The radio shows are very inexpensive and you can select the ones that fit your history topics. My dc learned a lot by listening to these shows, and especially enjoyed the WWII era shows. Even the commercials are educational because they show a picture of life in the U.S. during the war, and about rationing, victory gardens, etc. Some of the series, like Bob Hope, Fibber McGee and Molly, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen take place soon after WWI. Some are news broadcasts from the era, which are very interesting to listen to as some are live reporting of events. You can look under the Historical tab, or the WWII tab. You may find a cd of You Were There with episodes set during WWI.

http://www.otrcat.com

When you get to WWII, I suggest a cd set called Words and Music of WWII from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Words-Music-World-War-II/dp/B000008MGK It is a 2 cd set of music and news reports that is interesting to listen to, and tells about WWII through songs of the time, and it explains the background of the songs, events and news reports. My dc learned a lot from it and listened to it often.