Menu

Reading the boards from my new iPad...

I bought a kindle for myself for Christmas last year and I heard the iPad was coming out so I sold the kindle planning to buy the iPad. I just now decided to cough up the rest of the money with my last work paycheck before I leave my job. It's like a retirement gift to myself. :tongue_smilie:

I just got my iPad last weekend -- love love love it!

I'd love to know about apps too, esp for e-books. I have the Kindle app, of course (& I like it better than the actual Kindle LOL -- which kept crashing ...), & also I just heard about the Barnes & Noble app, Borders app, & Stanza. Oh, and Apple's iBook. Got all those. Any others?

We're about to take a long car trip (which was the impetus for finally getting the iPad) & I was bemoaning the fact that none of the books I want to read has a Kindle edition. Luckily a friend told me about the other e-book readers!

~Laura

P.S. I hadn't thought of reading the WTM boards on it ... But I'm doing so now. Fun!

I've really enjoyed reading PDFs on the iPad rather than needing to print them out or read on a computer monitor.

The App called "Goodreader" for 99 cents has been great for that, although the latest iBooks update supposedly has updated PDF support, so you might wat to check IBook first.

There is also an App called Air Video Free that allows one to view movies and pictures on ones home computer on the iPad over WiFi without transferring the files. That's pretty cool!

Bill

I've really enjoyed reading PDFs on the iPad rather than needing to print them out or read on a computer monitor.

The App called "Goodreader" for 99 cents has been great for that, although the latest iBooks update supposedly has updated PDF support, so you might wat to check IBook first.

There is also an App called Air Video Free that allows one to view movies and pictures on ones home computer on the iPad over WiFi without transferring the files. That's pretty cool!

Thanks for all the ideas, Bill! Those do sound cool. I'll definitely have my geeky son read your post (when he's back from math camp :)). I'm lost without him :D

~Laura

Completely uneducational, but Plants vs Zombies is a fun game.

When playing Angry Birds on my father's iPad, ds talked about where the bird should land on the structure to collapse it. "It's like the keystone of the arch." :lol: Ah the places you see that he's learning from homeschool!

This was actually my gift from last year too since I sold my Kindle from last Christmas to save for this.

And I truly am in LOVE with this thing. I honestly can't believe how much I love it. I think the only thing that tops it is my phone and that's only because, well, it's a phone, camera and video camera too. But I love how I can watch the stuff on the iPad, and it looks amazing!

I'm working on apps. I stayed up reading "Sh*t My Dad Says" last night till nearly 3, laughing till I cried-my first new book downloaded to the pad. Yeah, the language is rough, but that book is hilarious!!

I just heard about TVU -- a $5 app that lets you watch 900 TV channels from around the world, live. I've already watched some German TV. I plan to use it to watch things like World Cup & Tour de France, and brush up on my German & French. (We don't have any TV service otherwise -- just Netflix ;-)