Menu

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori,

I am interested in all that you have to share. I just have so many nice things, and money is limited, so I've sat on purchasing this curriculum. I have not ruled it out. Not by a long shot.

History and science are a priority here right now :lol: Who would have believed I would say that. :001_huh: But when penguins eat bananas, stars are pointy, the the world was flat before pangaea broke up, George Washington was not a president, cars were around during the revolutionary war, and so much more...well...some systematic unravelling of these untruths is in order, sometimes even before skills. :tongue_smilie:

• 6 months later...

Could you give an update?

Thanks!

Pam

We used it starting in September and probably for about 2 months or so. I thought the program was solid. He had practice in using a dictionary, writing answers in complete sentences, learning vocabulary, and more. I liked that the curriculum contained poetry and author biographies (outside of what was written in the McGuffey itself). The McGuffey stories were short and do-able. I recommend this curriculum.

My son found the font in the McGuffey too small at the beginning of the year, and he really liked the Pathway readers that we had done the year before. He wanted to go back to Pathway. I wanted him also to be reading real books. We could not keep up with doing Pathway, Landmark, and real books, so we dropped the Landmark. I am disappointed we didn't continue with it, but just because a curriculum is great doesn't mean I have to use it (that's my mantra!).

Hope that helps.

We could not keep up with doing Pathway, Landmark, and real books, so we dropped the Landmark. I am disappointed we didn't continue with it, but just because a curriculum is great doesn't mean I have to use it (that's my mantra!).

Please keep chanting your mantra. It helps us all to hear it. Really, it does.

I struggle to fit in both or to choose between the "Bible as Literature" method and McGuffey. I seem to constantly switch back and forth between the two, and just cannot settle on either one. They both are awesome and both cover most of the same skills. One or the other needs to be set aside at all times, without fear, guilt, or anything else negative.

. One or the other needs to be set aside at all times, without fear, guilt, or anything else negative.

Exactly! I think there are a number of reading curriculums (or even less than a curriculum) that I could use and make work and be happy with the results. It is hard to choose! But less is more.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I know this is an older thread but do you all know what version of the McGuffey readers they use with this curriculum?  If it is the 1879, some of you mentioned the small print, this wonderful company sells a large print version of the 1879, in paperback.  Here is the link ...well...it won't let me paste the link but if you go to www.alphaphonics.com and look under the McGuffey Readers he sells a large print copy.  They are nice.  The people who own this company are so sweet and helpful.

Anyway...let me know on the version because I am really interested in using this but have the hardback mott media version of McGuffeys.

Thanks!