Menu

ETC review? Learning letters/sounds waldorf ? too.

woolybear

Ds is going into second grade. He is not reading yet and only knows some of the letters/sounds. Last year he completed ETC books A and B. He was not retaining any of it so I took a break on it and just worked on learning the letters. My older ds used ETC as well and it took awhile for it to help him as well. So, I thought maybe we should continue with it this year. However, since he didn't retain much (or any? I'm not sure) I don't know where to begin with this.

Should we do some kind of review? Start all over, but move at a faster speed since it should ring some bells. Try something else? I was using more of a Waldorfy approach this spring/summer. Some of that seemed to stick if we found a good picture symbol to go along with the sound. ie. mountains for m. I like this approach for him, however, it just seemed to take forever and I do not want to be doing the alphabet all year with him.

I'm rambling here as I'm pretty tired, so I hope this is coherent. I'm just not quite sure where to go next with this. I was going to start Phonics Pathways, but I actually am thinking he needs to learn his letters better first.

Any thoughts on all of this? Should I just go to sleep and maybe it will make more sense tomorrow? Or at least I will.:tongue_smilie: Thanks for reading my rambling.

Well, my kids learned the letters and sounds in only a few weeks from watching, "Letter Factory" by Leapfrog. I would highly recommend it. I ordered mine a long time ago from Amazon, but a couple of months ago I saw a two pack (there are other DVD's like Talking Word Factory, etc) for a slightly discounted price at Target. I think you might be able to find all or some of it on Youtube. Our library also has it.

hth

For second grade, my dc are usually not really reading at the beginning. What I do:

I do a quick review of the alphabet sounds--1 per day. Each letter has it's picture, key word, sound, and physical movement. We just review and it is done in just over a month.

Traditionally in Waldorf you are supposed to do word family houses. Basically, you make a house for each word family (at, et, ook, etc.) and put words in those houses. This didn't work for us.

SWR phonograms work for us. So I link up each phonogram with a key word, picture, physical movement and an Aesop's fable. If I can't find a fable then we do one of the Saints that week. We go through the phonograms and a few of the rules at the rate of 1 per week. By the end of the year things should click.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

The Letter Factory is awesome, and my son became obsessed with letters at 4 years old.

We have used a different phonics book put out by the same publisher of Explode the Code. They are called Primary Phonics and although teaching the same skills are different in format. I think there is a lot more repetition and the pictures are clearer. Plus it incorporates the color words. Explode the Code can also be done online for quite a bit more money than the workbooks, but if your son is more capable working on a computer, it could help.