Menu

Adapted versions of classics

Tracy

Okay, so here is my situation. I was given a whole bunch of books. Included is a series of about 2 dozen adapted versions of various classics. I am guessing that the adapted versions are about 4th grade level.

I am kind of against adapted versions, but early reader versions have helped my 5yo agree to having the originals read to her (like Wizard of Oz, Black Beauty, Dr. Dolittle), so I have seen that they have a place. It is kind of nice to have all these books in one series, but I wonder if it would be better to post them on paperbackswap.com and try to get the originals instead.

What does the Hive think?

I don't know. :lol: How's that for an answer? I never had any thoughts on this one way or the other as I hadn't used any adapted versions before. However, I had been reading Wind in the Willows, the original version, to my boys. We LOVED LOVED the language, the poetics, the rhythm. It went so perfectly with MCT Island level, I couldn't have planned it if I had tried. Anyhow, to make a long story longer, a friend showed me her beautifully illustrated Wind in the Willows. I attempted to show her several beautiful passages or passages which had elements in it that we had been talking about. I couldn't find them! The text was identical in places but the paragraphs I was searching for was missing. Turns out, it was an adapted version. I don't think this is on the save level as the books you are talking about. This wasn't simply a shorter, more accessible version of the original, it was a totally dumbed down American version of the original. All the beautiful vocabulary, poetics, descriptive passages had been removed. The book was similar in size to me, similar size font but with more illustrations so it wasn't simply a version true to the core of the original but shortened, and abridged so that younger kids could get the story. So what I'm saying might not apply at all to your question. :lol: However, this experience has soured me on adaptations. I look forward to reading what others have to say and I'm open to changing my opinion. Although, if DS wanted to read an adapted version and the original was years away, I would probably be open to that. HHHmm must. ponder.

Capt_Uhura

We've used some adapted versions when I wanted dd to read one on her own. When I do a RA, I will only read the original, but that's because I can read on a much higher level and get the inflection and meaning without stumbling. The stumbling causes dd to pause, ask too many questions and lose the flow. Not that I don't challenge her with level, but just sometimes when I know it's something like Wind in the Willows I will do the reading for them. But my dd has read a few Great Illustrated Classics like Pollyanna, Wizard of Oz, Black Beauty, and even Little Women. It got her interested in the story line and I've found now that she's advancing in reading level that the familiarity breeds interest in getting in to the original.

So, all that to say, I'm for them. I think they have a place.

However, I had been reading Wind in the Willows, the original version, to my boys. We LOVED LOVED the language, the poetics, the rhythm.
It's a tragedy this book gets picked on so. It's not just the adapted and dumbed down versions -- very often the chapters "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Wayfarers All" are missing entirely. I cannot read the former but that tears come to my eyes.

Then suddenly the Mole felt a great Awe fall upon him, an awe that turned his muscles to water, bowed his head, and rooted his feet to the ground. It was no panic terror--indeed he felt wonderfully at peace and happy--but it was an awe that smote and held him and, without seeing, he knew it could only mean that some august Presence was very, very near. With difficulty he turned to look for his friend. and saw him at his side cowed, stricken, and trembling violently. And still there was utter silence in the populous bird-haunted branches around them; and still the light grew and grew.

Perhaps he would never have dared to raise his eyes, but that, though the piping was now hushed, the call and the summons seemed still dominant and imperious. He might not refuse, were Death himself waiting to strike him instantly, once he had looked with mortal eye on things rightly kept hidden. Trembling he obeyed, and raised his humble head; and then, in that utter clearness of the imminent dawn, while Nature, flushed with fulness of incredible colour, seemed to hold her breath for the event, he looked in the very eyes of the Friend and Helper; saw the backward sweep of the curved horns, gleaming in the growing daylight; saw the stern, hooked nose between the kindly eyes that were looking down on them humourously, while the bearded mouth broke into a half-smile at the corners; saw the rippling muscles on the arm that lay across the broad chest, the long supple hand still holding the pan-pipes only just fallen away from the parted lips; saw the splendid curves of the shaggy limbs disposed in majestic ease on the sward; saw, last of all, nestling between his very hooves, sleeping soundly in entire peace and contentment, the little, round, podgy, childish form of the baby otter. All this he saw, for one moment breathless and intense, vivid on the morning sky; and still, as he looked, he lived; and still, as he lived, he wondered.

`Rat!' he found breath to whisper, shaking. `Are you afraid?'

`Afraid?' murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love. `Afraid! Of him? O, never, never! And yet--and yet-- O, Mole, I am afraid!'

Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.

Sudden and magnificent, the sun's broad golden disc showed itself over the horizon facing them; and the first rays, shooting across the level water-meadows, took the animals full in the eyes and dazzled them. When they were able to look once more, the Vision had vanished, and the air was full of the carol of birds that hailed the dawn.

I read Wind in the Willows to my kids during our first year homeschooling, and I had a tough time with the language. I read so much twaddle as a kid, and rarely read anything challenging. I also (still) read too quickly when I read to myself, so reading aloud and being forced to go slowly over all the rich descriptions was new and tedious to me. The book was a stretch for me, the chapters felt long, and my reading aloud skills were still in infant stage.

But when we got to that chapter you quoted ... oh my, I fell in love with the book. It was gorgeously written and I wept.

I still think I will wait to read it aloud to my next child when he is older than a first grader though. Maybe a third grader. ;)