Menu

Annual testing: spring vs. fall vs. something else. What do you do?

kalanamak

BJU offers discounts if you test in the fall vs. the spring. All that is required in VA is that you test once a year, and you forward those results with your notification (which is due in Aug each year).

I test in the fall, less hectic...but we also school year-round, so no real issues with "forgetting" stuff.

If you school a "traditional year" (ending in June), you'll want to test in the spring for the best results.

I used to test at the very end of the year, as in, finish homeschooling on Friday, start testing on Monday, usually the last week of June, finished testing by July 4th.

Then 2 or 3 years ago, we found we were all so burned out by the end of the year, the crunch to finish so we could start summer break, that I couldn't imagine testing too. So, I put it off until the end of the summer. Last year (and this year) we won't be starting the school year until mid to late September due to religious holidays, so we have delayed testing to early Sept.

The pros are that when we finish the year at the end of June, we are done. No testing hanging over our heads. It is also a good way to slowly work into starting the year. 30 minutes to an hour of testing per day for 5-8 days, then start our regular schedule.

The only con is that the content would be fresher in their minds in June, although the academic burnout/exhaustion at that time could also have negative effects. By Sept, they are ready to "get back to work" and refreshed for the testing. We do try to spend at least 2 weeks reviewing beforehand, using Spectrum Test Prep. practice tests. I haven't seen any change in their scores due to the change in testing time.

HTH,

We usually test in late March/early April, about 6 weeks before finishing up our work for the year--usually the week before we have spring break. I don't really have a particular reason for that date, although when I was growing up my schools usually tested around that time of year.

Most of the tests use the norms for the part of school you are in (3rd grade, 2nd month or 3rd grade 8th month, etc.), so it doesn't really matter much. Just test when it is convenient for you and allows you to return the results to state/local authorities, if required.