Menu

Trying to re-organize our school-days...

sahm99

In the past I tried to spend one hour per child, going through the teacher-intensive subjects... This was the idea:lol:!

Reality looked differently: I regularly spend 2+ hours with ds, less with dd8...and too often none with dd6...:001_huh:

I am wondering, whether I should try something differently this coming year.

What do you think about having a more rigid, traditional "class-schedule" (e.g. Latin from 8-9, Math from 9-10, LA from 10-12, etc.)? Is this realistic at all, with three children working in three different grade-levels? My idea is, that I would "float" from child to child, encouraging independence, while still being available...

And even though the content is not the same, I imagine sharing a subject might help to keep everyone focused...:confused:

I would go on until about 3 o'clock (with RA, History and Science after Lunch) and then call it a day - anything not finished in the allotted timeframe would be left as "homework"...

I am looking forward to your thoughts!!!

I decided to list out my childrens' classes, and then color code them (red=teacher intensive, orange=moderate-low teacher involvement, green=low-no teacher involvement). For instance, we use SWR for spelling...very teacher intensive, thus colored red. We also use handwriting workbooks...low-no teacher involvement, thus colored green. I schedule a red for one child while the other has a green (or two). Orange can be done simultaneously...and I can float betw them (usually these are the classes that require a brief review...then workbook exercises or copywork).

HTH.

-Jenny

Guest aquiverfull

Search the boards for "loop scheduling". I haven't done it myself but I've read some of the posts about it. It sounds like something that might work for you. :)

I decided to list out my childrens' classes, and then color code them (red=teacher intensive, orange=moderate-low teacher involvement, green=low-no teacher involvement). For instance, we use SWR for spelling...very teacher intensive, thus colored red. We also use handwriting workbooks...low-no teacher involvement, thus colored green. I schedule a red for one child while the other has a green (or two). Orange can be done simultaneously...and I can float betw them (usually these are the classes that require a brief review...then workbook exercises or copywork).

HTH.

-Jenny

This is a great idea. I only have two to teach and it still gets interesting when they both need me, or want my attention. I am going to try your idea to see if I can get a handle on it, and also that will give me the ability to tell the oldest that his subject is green and that means that he does it independently until it is done and we go over it.

I organize by dc's work into hour "blocks", organized roughly by how much teacher-time they will most likely need. When I was teaching 3dc I would dictate the order that the blocks would be done. This helped to allow me to focus with each dc as necessary. Now that I have mainly ds#2 at home, he is allowed to choose the order of his blocks, but I will tell him when I want to work on the block we need to do together. This allows me to get housework, paperwork, etc. completed while still being available for ds.

JMHO,

HTH.

I really love this idea, thanks!

I am new to posting and don't know how to quote. But this is in response to the OP.

Your plan is exactly what we did last year with my 3 school aged dc(11,9, and 7). I am continuing it this year and will be adding my K'er. I'm planning also to have my 3yo(& 1 yo) do games, activities, or toys related to the same subject periods. It worked really well last year for us--and that was with a new baby! :001_smile:

I am wondering, whether I should try something differently this coming year.

What do you think about having a more rigid, traditional "class-schedule" (e.g. Latin from 8-9, Math from 9-10, LA from 10-12, etc.)? Is this realistic at all, with three children working in three different grade-levels? My idea is, that I would "float" from child to child, encouraging independence, while still being available...

And even though the content is not the same, I imagine sharing a subject might help to keep everyone focused...:confused:

I did this when my 1st 3 were younger. They sat at the kitchen table and I circled it continuously supervising their work. If I needed some 1on1 with child, I pulled up a chair and worked for a few minutes. Then it was back to circling, lol. It worked very well when they were younger. :D Good memories. A friend complained she did nothing but sit for the entire school day. I looked at her in confusion because I did anything but sit most of the day. Circle the table, chase the toddler, circle the table, chase the toddler, etc. :lol:

Another quick thought, you could also start with your youngest, before moving to your middle child, and ending with your oldest. :D

We use a MOTH schedule. Basically I start by listing out subjects for each child. Beside each I write how many minutes of teaching are required and how many minutes of independent work are required. I add up all the teaching times to make sure it is doable for me. Then I started filling in the schedule trying to rotate from one dc to the next every 15 to 30 minutes while the others are working independently or entertaining the toddler. This way I make sure I spend enough time with each of them. Here's our schedule from last year. HTH

We have 5 children. We tried the loop schedule for many months last year, but I found that the children who worked well with a checklist continued to do well, but the children who tended not to get through everything in a day still had the same problem, only it was worse without the built-in incentive of free time to play as soon as everything was checked off. I think it's a great idea for a family with mostly younger children though.

Anyway, I noticed that several other people mentioned the problem of what to do when multiple children want one's attention at the same time. I finally came up with the idea of having an index card for each child with the child's name on it. If I'm working with one child but someone else needs me, I have them bring me their index card. Then, when I'm done or at a good break with the child I'm currently helping, I see what the child who brought the index card needs. If there's more than one, well, "All questions will be answered in the order they are received."

It sounds a little cold perhaps, but that way I'm free to really focus on one child at a time. I do have to say that sometimes I will interrupt a younger child who has less to do overall to help an older child struggling through an algebra problem and trying to finish.

We use a MOTH schedule. Basically I start by listing out subjects for each child. Beside each I write how many minutes of teaching are required and how many minutes of independent work are required. I add up all the teaching times to make sure it is doable for me. Then I started filling in the schedule trying to rotate from one dc to the next every 15 to 30 minutes while the others are working independently or entertaining the toddler. This way I make sure I spend enough time with each of them.

This is pretty close to what I did when my two youngest were in the baby/toddler stage. Now that they're older and like to get all their work done in one block, I work things a little differently. We all start off with a Bible reading. Then the 12yo does his independent work (Bible study, math, grammar, geography, etc) while I work with the 8yo and the 6yo plays. After I've finished the 8yo's math and language arts, I do the work that 12yo needs me to help him with (Latin, logic, writing, etc). Then we break for lunch. After lunch we all do Spanish together. I do science with the 12yo and then he finishes any other independent work (doing his writing assignment that I gave him in the morning or anything that didn't get finished in the am) while I do history and/or science with the 8yo. Then I do reading/math with the 6yo. That was the schedule last year at least, when the 6yo was in K. Next month, when he starts doing 1st grade work, things will have to change and he'll sit in on history and science more with the 8yo.

This is pretty close to what I did when my two youngest were in the baby/toddler stage. Now that they're older and like to get all their work done in one block, I work things a little differently. We all start off with a Bible reading. Then the 12yo does his independent work (Bible study, math, grammar, geography, etc) while I work with the 8yo and the 6yo plays. After I've finished the 8yo's math and language arts, I do the work that 12yo needs me to help him with (Latin, logic, writing, etc). Then we break for lunch. After lunch we all do Spanish together. I do science with the 12yo and then he finishes any other independent work (doing his writing assignment that I gave him in the morning or anything that didn't get finished in the am) while I do history and/or science with the 8yo. Then I do reading/math with the 6yo. That was the schedule last year at least, when the 6yo was in K. Next month, when he starts doing 1st grade work, things will have to change and he'll sit in on history and science more with the 8yo.

Hi,Meghan!

Just curious - When does your school day begin and end?

ds10 (4th grade)...LC, Bigmathtime, Saxon 6/5, SWO, FLL, WWE, WT, SL-Readers...and Core 3

dd8 (2nd grade)...PL, Bigmathtime, Horizons2, SWO, FLL, WWE, CW-Primer, SL-Readers...and Core K/3

dd6 (K)...Earlybird, HorizonsK, HWT, ETC, SL-Readers...and Core K

Baby Boy

I don't know if this will help, just a few ideas. :001_smile:

Get your older students working "independently" as soon as possible: Spend 5-10 minutes to start your 4th and 2nd graders right away on whatever work they can do most independently. Tell them you are doing handwriting and reading lessons with your K'er and they are not to interrupt this important work, except for a true emergency. Tell them you will check their work or answer their questions after the Kindergarten lessons. Have something else lined up for them to do if they finish before you are available -- math fact drill, spelling drill, memory work, mazes, math fact songs (listen with headphones), geography songs, music practice, Latin songs, Latin vocabulary cards, classical music, art folders, SL readers, chess/checkers, puzzles, library books/book basket, and so on.

Get your youngest student to write and read as soon as possible. Focus on your K'er and work on handwriting (10 minutes). I would start with handwriting because it is straightforward, the child's hand isn't tired yet, and it's teacher-intensive in the early stages. If you've just settled your 4th/2nd graders into their work, and tucked the baby somewhere, you can concentrate on HW for the K'er. Next, do a reading lesson (15-20 minutes). It will be worth your investment to get #3 reading, and reading well. When the "formal" K lessons are done, assign your K'er something she can do independently (listen to an audiobook, look at picture books, draw a picture, sort/count/add/subtract, complete a simple math page, play with the baby). Or, have your 2nd grader spend 10-20 minutes playing with and/or reading to your K'er. (What we do here). ;)

Give focused teaching time to your oldest student. Check your 4th grader's work and move him on to the next assignment -- the part of his work that requires the most teaching time. Give him as much as you can squeeze in! Then, assign him more work to be completed independently.

Set up your 2nd grader and K'er, then bounce between them. Next, focus on your 2nd grader. Check the work that she did independently, correct errors, and encourage her independence. Move her along to something semi-independent. Set up your K'er for something semi-independent. Bounce back and forth between your 2nd grader and your K'er. :D (Sounds like fun, right?)

Devote one more "teaching session" to your K'er. Send your 4th and 2nd graders off to do math fact drill and/or spelling drill and/or memory work. If they work well together, send them to drill each other. If not, put them in separate spots. Send them off with a TIMER (your new best friend), and tell them, "Do not come back until the timer goes off." Focus another teaching session on your K'er, this time for math. Then, your Kindergartner's seat work is done! :D Dismiss her with a hug and a smile. Call her back if there's any group work that is suitable for her.

Teach the older students until their work is finished. Focus teacher time onto your 2nd grader, then your 4th grader, back and forth until the seat work is done.

Drill Latin grammar and vocabulary together. I've seen threads on here about this, but I have no firsthand experience with it. I know that others have posted about combining PL & LC levels into one "Latin Drill Session." The Memoria Press website has articles on doing Latin drill that might help you structure one Latin drill for both students (see also Veritas Press and their comments on "Memory Period").

Take a well-earned break. Snuggle that baby! Answer nature's call! Put the workbooks and pencils away. Geesh!

Read your Cores and any RAs together. Maybe after lunch? A nice, long Read Aloud, with all of them at various degrees of listening. ;)

Have a daily household Quiet Time. After Read Aloud, require a Quiet Time/Nap Time, so you can recharge your batteries!

Evening. There may be one or two things that your oldest can get done in the evening, as if they're homework. Or maybe you want to snuggle and read Core K with the girls, while your husband spends time with the boys. I hope that helps in some way.

Edited by Sahamamama

ds10 (4th grade)...LC, Bigmathtime, Saxon 6/5, SWO, FLL, WWE, WT, SL-Readers...and Core 3

dd8 (2nd grade)...PL, Bigmathtime, Horizons2, SWO, FLL, WWE, CW-Primer, SL-Readers...and Core K/3

dd6 (K)...Earlybird, HorizonsK, HWT, ETC, SL-Readers...and Core K

Baby Boy

I don't know if this will help, just a few ideas. :001_smile:

Get your older students working "independently" as soon as possible: Spend 5-10 minutes to start your 4th and 2nd graders right away on whatever work they can do most independently. Tell them you are doing handwriting and reading lessons with your K'er and they are not to interrupt this important work, except for a true emergency. Tell them you will check their work or answer their questions after the Kindergarten lessons. Have something else lined up for them to do if they finish before you are available -- math fact drill, spelling drill, memory work, mazes, math fact songs (listen with headphones), geography songs, music practice, Latin songs, Latin vocabulary cards, classical music, art folders, SL readers, chess/checkers, puzzles, library books/book basket, and so on.

Get your youngest student to write and read as soon as possible. Focus on your K'er and work on handwriting (10 minutes). I would start with handwriting because it is straightforward, the child's hand isn't tired yet, and it's teacher-intensive in the early stages. If you've just settled your 4th/2nd graders into their work, and tucked the baby somewhere, you can concentrate on HW for the K'er. Next, do a reading lesson (15-20 minutes). It will be worth your investment to get #3 reading, and reading well. When the "formal" K lessons are done, assign your K'er something she can do independently (listen to an audiobook, look at picture books, draw a picture, sort/count/add/subtract, complete a simple math page, play with the baby). Or, have your 2nd grader spend 10-20 minutes playing with and/or reading to your K'er. (What we do here). ;)

Give focused teaching time to your oldest student. Check your 4th grader's work and move him on to the next assignment -- the part of his work that requires the most teaching time. Give him as much as you can squeeze in! Then, assign him more work to be completed independently.

Set up your 2nd grader and K'er, then bounce between them. Next, focus on your 2nd grader. Check the work that she did independently, correct errors, and encourage her independence. Move her along to something semi-independent. Set up your K'er for something semi-independent. Bounce back and forth between your 2nd grader and your K'er. :D (Sounds like fun, right?)

Devote one more "teaching session" to your K'er. Send your 4th and 2nd graders off to do math fact drill and/or spelling drill and/or memory work. If they work well together, send them to drill each other. If not, put them in separate spots. Send them off with a TIMER (your new best friend), and tell them, "Do not come back until the timer goes off." Focus another teaching session on your K'er, this time for math. Then, your Kindergartner's seat work is done! :D Dismiss her with a hug and a smile. Call her back if there's any group work that is suitable for her.

Teach the older students until their work is finished. Focus teacher time onto your 2nd grader, then your 4th grader, back and forth until the seat work is done.

Drill Latin grammar and vocabulary together. I've seen threads on here about this, but I have no firsthand experience with it. I know that others have posted about combining PL & LC levels into one "Latin Drill Session." The Memoria Press website has articles on doing Latin drill that might help you structure one Latin drill for both students (see also Veritas Press and their comments on "Memory Period").

Take a well-earned break. Snuggle that baby! Answer nature's call! Put the workbooks and pencils away. Geesh!

Read your Cores and any RAs together. Maybe after lunch? A nice, long Read Aloud, with all of them at various degrees of listening. ;)

Have a daily household Quiet Time. After Read Aloud, require a Quiet Time/Nap Time, so you can recharge your batteries!

Evening. There may be one or two things that your oldest can get done in the evening, as if they're homework. Or maybe you want to snuggle and read Core K with the girls, while your husband spends time with the boys. I hope that helps in some way.

:iagree:hmmm...yeah....what she said....

robin in NJ

I've tried a lot of different things with 4 kids (this is our 7th year hsing). I always end up rotating 30 minute blocks with each of the kids. For example, I always start with the youngest since she can do the least amount of work on her own. I spend 30 min. with her doing math while the second oldest does any independent work he can ( he's in 2nd grade and works on his journal/copywork, math facts sheet, handwriting, etc.). When I'm finished with the youngest, she takes a break, and I move on to the new math concept with the second youngest. The older 2 can do their math on their own. After younger 2 finish math, they have an educational video (usually Wordworld, Wordgirl, Sid the science kid, etc.) while I move on to 30 minutes with my 2nd oldest. I spend my block with her doing anything that needs my instruction - AAS, listening to her read, going over grammar, etc.). I continue to rotate before lunch with younger kids. After lunch, the younger 2 are basically finished, and I spend more time with the older 2.

Last year, I was finished teaching them all by 3:00; the older 2 were finished with all their work by around 4:30 (if they focused). We started the day around 8:30-9:00 and took 1 hour off for lunch break. I've rambled so much, I forgot what the op's question was.. HTH!

I don't know if this will help, just a few ideas. :001_smile: [/color]

Thank you! this was so helpful to me as well and I didn't even ask the question :D I printed it out to read over again as we get closer to our school starting time.

What do your bigger kids do during 'quiet time'? Do you require everyone to be in their rooms? I'm expecting baby number seven in april and I think i'm really going to need a quiet time every afternoon... not sure how i'll convince the almost-4 year old twins to be quiet for an hour. hmmm...