Menu

English Shepherd Dog

check out ES rescue - they have good info on the breed.

http://www.nesr.info/

PLUS, they have great dogs that need homes ;) & if you're in a different geo area, can put you in touch with local dogs needing help.

I've seen a few which just looked like slightly odd bc's to me until I was told it's an es.

I think if you look at bc or aussie traits, you'll find a similar dog in an es though I *hear* they tend to be a bit more mellow than a bc.

We have one we got as a rescue from a pound. We had two other dogs when we brought her home. She was 6-9 months old. She may have been the omega pup or may have been abused; she was and is very afraid of men and not quick to warm up to most people. I don't think that is related to the breed, but probably to early experiences.

She is very smart (apparently typical of the breed), sheds a lot (though I understand this is atypical for English Shepherds), and is affectionate with the family. She is laid back, not all hyper like a lot of herding dogs. (This is ES behavior).

When she hit age 2, she did challenge our remaining dog for alpha status. Our original alpha had died at age 15 (Weim/Dalm cross) and our other female was aging. The vet said this was not uncommon to have a younger one challenge about the time of maturity. Since the other female didn't willingly relinquish status, there were some fights. We had to essentially tip the balance in favor of the younger dog, who would eventually win anyway (according to the vet.) That was a tense time, but other than that, there have been no problems. She typically ignores other dogs in the neighborhood when we're walking (even the labs who charge up to the edge of their invisible fence.)

Now that she's aging, I would definitely consider another ES.