Menu

Singapore + MEP ?'s

I'm switching to Singapore 3A/B and I'm considering supplementing with MEP as well. I'm new to both. I'm wondering how others schedule both. Also how long does a Singapore lesson usually take? It seems like a lot of work in each lesson as I'm writing out our plans. Singapore would need to be scheduled five days a week to complete both an A and B of a level, correct? So would you double up and do two Math lessons some days or how else do you supplement? How long do the MEP lessons usually take? I think I'm going to start out using MEP level 2 for review, but may end up bumping up to the next level.

I'm switching to Singapore 3A/B and I'm considering supplementing with MEP as well. I'm new to both. I'm wondering how others schedule both. Also how long does a Singapore lesson usually take? It seems like a lot of work in each lesson as I'm writing out our plans. Singapore would need to be scheduled five days a week to complete both an A and B of a level, correct? So would you double up and do two Math lessons some days or how else do you supplement? How long do the MEP lessons usually take? I think I'm going to start out using MEP level 2 for review, but may end up bumping up to the next level.

My youngest is using Singapore 3A/3B this year (just starting week 5 today). A Singapore lesson usually takes him around 30 minutes (oral work from the textbook, plus the assignment in the workbook). We do the word problem book later in the day, and it usually takes around 15 minutes for 2 problems. When there is a review in the workbook I spread it over 2-3 days.

I tried to use MEP 3 alongside/instead of PM 3 this year, but some of the thinking required was too abstract for him. (He was expected to come up with a rule like "A-6=P" to explain a chart of a word problem, though he was allowed to use words instead of letters if he wanted. His mind doesn't work that way yet.)

My 3rd child (his older sister) is using MEP 5 this year. At first, it took her about 1.5 hours a day. Now that she is used to the format, she finishes in 45 min to an hour. We use all the activities in the lesson plans, not only the workbook and the instructions for the workbook pages.

MEP 3 was taking about the same amount of time for my 3rd grader, so it didn't work out for us to use both MEP and Singapore.

I have the following math routine for my oldest:

Day 1: PM Lesson, Corresponding pages from workbook(if we use one), corresponding pages in IP;

Day 2: MEP pages, covering the same studying topic ( if there is one) + CWP.

If there is nothing from MEP to match our "math needs", we do logic puzzles or work on very challenging problems.

Day 3: PM lesson, Workbook, IP

Day 4: MEP + CWP

Day 5: PM lesson, Workbook, IP

Day 6: MEP, CWP or play games.

Tuesday is our "light" homeschool day because of my daughter's skating lesson and practice.

This summer she is doing MEP as a review, so this month she has spent between 2-4 hours on math 5 times per week.

• 4 weeks later...

We do math in 3 different blocks each day. He starts off using the SM 4a textbook & works all the problems down to the next workbook exercise. After lunch I have him work an interactive MEP worksheet online. He does the corresponding workbook exercise from his morning SM as his last subject of the day, or as "homework" if he needs to break for soccer, etc.

He LOVES math though so idk if this would be considered too much for most kids. It really averages out to about 1-1.25hrs of math/day. We have been making it through 1 full Singapore lesson/wk but may need to slow down at some point. FWIW, we used MUS gamma last year which really grounded him in his multiplication facts & he has easily taken to SM this year with no issue needing extra "drill" or practice work. He usually has about 28-30 problems of SM per day, in addition to the MEP worksheet.

HTH!!! :)

I would love a link to this!

Thanks!

Hi, Interactive pages for 3a and 3b workbooks:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/y3int/default.htm

MEP Primary Interactive Resource: review of the 3a workbook:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/bk3a/default.htm

Interactive pages for 4a workbook:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/y4int/default.htm

Main link to the MEP resources:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

how'd i miss those interactive pages? Thanks!

We are using Math Mammoth this year --love, love, love it. For some reason, i didn't prefer singapore. Anyway, we just do 1 page of MEP a day too. It is much for intense thought processing than we are used to, and I think it has been great to stretch us.