Menu

The Crossover grip ?

sbgrace

I got one of these for my kiddo who is six with a poor grip (thumb crossing among other issues). I'm confused. He puts the thumb on one side and then the two first fingers are crowded on the other side--his index essentially right behind his middle finger. Is that correct? It looks awkward and I'm wondering if his fingers are just too small to use it. It seems like the middle finger should be to the side of the index but that's a long stretch for my fingers let alone his. I can try to link a picture.

He also hates it. Should I just have him use it for handwriting practice and let him do whatever the rest of the day?

Edited by sbgrace

hmmm...our crossover grips are kinda triangular shaped with a huge blob thingy between the thumb and index finger. The middle finger should just rest on the underneath side.

Are you putting it on the pencil backwards?

ETA: I wouldn't let him "do whatever" the rest of the day. For ALL school, we use the grip (given it works LOL).

http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Crossover-Ergonomic-Metallic/dp/B001SN8HPI This is what I got. It seems too big for a true tripod for him--his middle finger seems really awkward when he tries to place it "correctly" and he goes back to putting it in front of the first finger. I'm thinking this is worse than his regular grip maybe but I don't know why it doesn't seem to work for his hands comfortably. He really hates it too and from the reviews I thought it would feel comfortable for him. Maybe it's an adjustment. Would it help someone help me if I tried to post a picture?

Do you/would have the child use a grip exclusively or just in the context of school? What if he's drawing on his own?

Edited by sbgrace

Are you putting it on the pencil backwards?

We don't have quite the same one, but to get it right I have to hold the grip as if I'm writing and then slide the pencil through it - does that make any sense? It's really easy to put ours on wrong.

I make my 5yo use it for handwriting, and sometimes she'll do the rest of her work without switching, but I don't insist unless I see that she's struggling. I remind her to put the pencil on the "shelf" of her middle finger, and use the thumb & index to pinch it. Even on a pencil without the grip, that reminder helps her.

When the pencil grip is on the pencil you should see writing on the top or the largest part of the flare goes on the bottom.

Only the thumb and index finger go in the flare pocket. The middle finger should go behind to make a shelf (as the previous poster described).

HTH

:iagree:

We've got those grips, and my small 4 year old can use it without issue.