Menu

Lial's Basic College Math

I was looking at this for my soon to be 6th grader. I think it is the equivalent level as Chalkdust's Basic Math. Is that correct?

Also, I have heard it's "inexpensive"? On amazon, the 7th edition is $130?! Does that sound about right? Not "cheap" in my mind, but I guess it is for a good math program. Can anyone help with these two questions?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

BCM is a Pre-Algebra level course.

Most 6th graders still need to work on foundational skills--I don't like to see Pre-Algebra worked until 7th grade...(always a few exceptions of course).

The MAJORITY of errors in Algebra are due to the lack of foundation in 5th and 6th grade maths... work on accuracy not just 'understanding'. Those occasional errors add up!

BCM refines those skills and adds more critical thinking/application and introduces formula work (Geometry) and early Algebra.

When looking for texts on Amazon you will NOT be purchasing new from Amazon (their large font price). Click on the 'used' texts (small font) under their price and then search for a text in 'like new' condition.

Here is a link for the 7th edition of BCM--this is the edition I use in my classes.

Here is another link to Half.com

Half.com has the best prices today. They have a new copy--still wrapped for $7.50 under 'like new'...

Just make sure there is no writing in the text as this is often used as a workbook-- I let my girls write in theirs!

The student text is all that you need-- it has all of the odd answers and all of the review and test answers... More than enough practice!

I was looking at this for my soon to be 6th grader. I think it is the equivalent level as Chalkdust's Basic Math. Is that correct?

Also, I have heard it's "inexpensive"? On amazon, the 7th edition is $130?! Does that sound about right? Not "cheap" in my mind, but I guess it is for a good math program. Can anyone help with these two questions?

Thanks

Hot Lava Mama

I just got a copy of this text for $.99!! Honestly, I couldn't believe it~ and it was in almost perfect condition!

I was able to get the Algebra text for $7.00.

My ds used it before Algebra. It was a big help. If he's finished 6th grade math it would solidify everything he's learned and more. My dd finished 6th grade math (Scott Foresman/Addison Wessley)and went right into Jacobs Algebra which we made into a two year program.