Menu

Can anyone tell me about Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus?

hsmom3tn

...especially the ones for the upper grades.

Did you like it? How does it work? I mean, are the books to be read aloud with discussion questions for discussing aloud? Or, are the books to be individually read and the questions are in the style of a workbook? Are there any other activites besides questions - like maybe for vocabulary or something like that?

:bigear:

hsmom3tn, there are samples on the RFWP site. Have you taken a look there to see if they could answer your questions? My experience is with the K-2 level, but the books we read were picture books, so I don't know exactly how it would be implemented at higher levels. I'm pretty sure there's no "workbook." The questions are discussion questions. Let me see if I can find the sample page.

ETA: http://rfwp.com/samples/wolf7.pdf

This is the for the 7th-grade-level book. IMO, the questions are designed for discussion and analysis, but don't go as deep into analysis as some might like. I'm eager to hear others' experiences.

Edited by melissel

:bigear:

hsmom3tn, there are samples on the RFWP site. Have you taken a look there to see if they could answer your questions? My experience is with the K-2 level, but the books we read were picture books, so I don't know exactly how it would be implemented at higher levels. I'm pretty sure there's no "workbook." The questions are discussion questions. Let me see if I can find the sample page.

ETA: http://rfwp.com/samples/wolf7.pdf

This is the for the 7th-grade-level book. IMO, the questions are designed for discussion and analysis, but don't go as deep into analysis as some might like. I'm eager to hear others' experiences.

Thank you!

I'm hoping someone here has used this for the 5-6 or the 7. I wish I'd known about it when my kids were K-2. I bet that would have been fun. :)

I should know more in a couple weeks. I ordered the books yesterday. Since I will be dealing with a first grader, a fifth grader and a seventh grader and all of them at reading levels that don't match age/grade I bought all the books. I will try them out after the books get here.

I have the book; it has the 6 level analysis for several stories based on Bloom's Taxonomy. After reading it, I did not think it was easy to implement for my 5yo. I am currently reading Deconstructing Penguins and I think I can use it better for my purpose.

I can provide more details about Suppose The Wolf this weekend if you need. This thread gives more details and discusses some alternatives. Also this thread discusses some other alternatives.

HTH

I just bought the 2 lower levels, and they are exactly the same format. The samples posted represent the whole book really well. My plan, with a 4th grader, is to read the books individually, and pull out some questions to use for discussions or writing assignments.