Menu

Old Earth Creation and Timelines

....I'm using Connecting With History and supplementing with SOTW. We just started and are the beginning of Genesis. I'm stuck on how to do my timeline, so I've avoided that right now. I've decided to put Creation, Adam and Eve, Abraham, and Noah first with no dates. I'm trying to figure out what my first piece will be with a date. (This is history not science, so I'm not putting dinosaurs, ice ages, etc...) on it and this is for first grade so simplicity is ok. Any ideas or info on how you've done this if you're coming from a similar viewpoint would be helpful. BTW, I'm using the timeline book from Homeschool in the woods.

Thanks

I put creation, Adam & Eve and Noah on the front of the timeline then made a jagged line to separate it from the dated figures. I put Abraham at 2000-1900BC right after the Sumerian reign. I put Joseph at 1700 during Egypt's middle kingdom and then Moses being around 1530-1378 in Egypt during the time of Thutmose and Hapshetsut. Of course these dates are debatable, but they made the most sense to me. It's been so long that I can no longer tell you where I got the dates, but they don't follow the YE point of view.

Today, I am also looking at this dilemma.

I am considering including the Altamira and Lascaux cave paintings c 15,000-10,000 BC and Catal Huyuk and Jericho c 7500 BC, because we will be studying them.

I hope you get some more responses, I could use the help!

Mandy

Today, I am also looking at this dilemma.

I am considering including the Altamira and Lascaux cave paintings c 15,000-10,000 BC and Catal Huyuk and Jericho c 7500 BC, because we will be studying them.

I hope you get some more responses, I could use the help!

Mandy

I was also having dilemmas when looking at the landbridge crossing from Siberia to Alaska. I've decided to start my dates w/ the cradle of civilization, to keep it simple. We'll be coming back to this in 4 years:)

I was also having dilemmas when looking at the landbridge crossing from Siberia to Alaska. I've decided to start my dates w/ the cradle of civilization, to keep it simple. We'll be coming back to this in 4 years:)

I'm doing a one year world history with a 2nd and 5th grader using Gombrich's Little History. I have no idea when I will get back to the beginning.

The landbridge is a migration whereas Jericho and Catal Huyak show urbanization and perhaps the beginnings of civilizations.

In chapter 3 Little History covers Egypt, so Egypt will be the first civilization that we cover and perhaps Menes c 3100 BC will be the first individual we timeline.

HTH-

Mandy

It was a while ago, but I remember our first grade timeline was just the Homeschool in The Wood figures pasted onto a large, long piece of roll paper, in a rough order according to the dates on the figures--except I put the first few Biblical events/figures on a totally undated line, cutting off the dates HSIW put on them, and the "jagged line" after it, as others have said. I only put the figures mentioned after that in SOTW on the line.

It was just a visual, and not a very important visual, as we were going for exposure and not memorizing dates.