Menu

Science curriculum for a weekly co-op, kids aged about 6-10?

Smithie

I am really excited about the possibility of a science co-op for secular homeschoolers in my town. Another mama has offered to be the coordinator, and I'm trying to help her by digging up curriculum samples to bring to the organizing meeting.

Apart from REAL Science for Kids, what else should I look into? Remember, this is strictly for the Earth-is-4.5-billion-years-old crowd. Our kids get a lot of exposure to God-centered or God-presupposing modes of thinking just because of the region we live in, so we want a science curriculum that is just.about.science.

We are thinking of doing Biology this year, but could switch to Physics or Chemistry if doing so would give us a really great curriculum choice for this secular mixed-age group setting.

Thanks in advance, mamas!

The Rader sites are good:

http://www.biology4kids.com/

If you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see that they also have sites for astronomy, chemistry, earth science, and physics linked there. There's also a geography site by them.

MSNucleus.org has lessons online for middle schoolers, too. They have more biology related stuff than chem/physics at this time.

secular mixed-age group setting.

Well, not just because I have these listed on the For Sale board (ahem), but because they lend themselves, in my opinion, to multilevel co-ops, I'd recommend Great Science Adventures. I believe that they are recommended for K-8, at different mastery levels.

http://www.commonsensepress.com/greatscience/about.htm

(I have The World of Space, The World of Plants, The World of Tools and Technology, and The World of Insects and Arachnids available. :) Feel free to PM, if you're interested, although the website has some samples available.)

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey is good too. We are doing Chemistry this year with another family, kids age 6-10. Same boat as you in wanting secular science...

:iagree: We love this series. Lots of hands on animal studies, would be great with a group.

Evan-Moor also has some good stuff in their ScienceWorks series. We used their Simple Machines curr and it was terrific! It's designed for classroom use and is reproducible, has some experiments, not enough depth for home use but perfect for co-op (and geared toward a secular setting).

You could look into Nebel's "Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding" (BFSU). It lends itself very well to a larger group. It may require a bit more planning and prep on the part of the teacher, but IMO it is a top notch curriculum. And the author regularly can assist on the yahoo group.

It's also cheap and will not require lots of materials.