Menu

My dd, 4, is trying to count above 20, and, I help her with it out loud, but think a number line might be of help for her to see the numbers. I'm a bit lazy to do it myself (although it's possible) and the ones I've seen online either don't go to 100 or are designed for a classroom. Anyone have any suggestions for something sized reasonably for home (or other ways to illustrate this concept. She is not ready to write the numbers herself, but likes counting things but has trouble with going from 49 to 50--will say "forty-ten." :) Thanks!

Instead of a number line, I prefer the 'number castle'

Take a look here:

http://defimath.ca/documents/Chateau.Dizaines.pdf

See how you move up in the castle as you move from one ten to the next ten? Also make sure that the child notices the little stairs that will go from one floor to another. My DD who was into princesses at that age, loved the number castle.

I made number cards with poster board paper. They were 12" or 14" square and I stuckput half inch red dot stickers for each number. This might be more than you want to do or spend. I also used a roll of paper, like the type cashier machines use, and drew a line down the middle, and dd put an intersecting mark (dot, line, or star) at equal intervals on the line. She counted that way, then later she added the numbers. You can use as much or as little of the roll as you want and it is easy to carry around.