Menu

Food Suggestions while Traveling

=i really need help coming with food ideas. We will be in a hotel for 11 days (no breakfast and no microwave available). I'll be bringing my crockpot and electric fry pan along but those will be my only ways of cooking/heating things. I have an electric cooler and my husband will be coming down part way through so he can bring more frozen food down.

So what suggestions would you have for breakfast lunch and dinner that could be prepared in those cooking items. My family doesn't really like sandwiches or cold cereal. Anf for lunches I'll only have at most 30 minutes for prep so things that could go in the crockpot and could be eaten when we walk in the door would be ideal, supper I'll have a little more time for prep.

I'll make some muffins and freeze them and my husband can bring some more frozen ones done but they won't stay fresh for 5 days (for each half of the trip).

I'll make some chicken quesadilla filling and taco meat that can be heated in the crockpot and trhown in shells for lunch and all pre-cook some brats/hot dogs that could warm up in water in the crockpot but those are the only ideas I have so far and I have a lot more lunches and suppers to figure out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

breakfast: yogurt and granola w/fruits, apple slices with cheddar and peanut butter, nutella and sliced bananas on grainy bread, strawberries (that you had frozen) w/ cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs sliced into tortillas with chz and salsa

lunch: anything that can be a sandwich can be a "wrap" if they like tortillas instead of bread. Or we like to roll lunch meat and cheese and some veggies together and dip in hummus or ranch or salsa or honey mustard, etc. Pita pizzas can be eaten cold - sauce, cheese, ham or pepperoni, etc on a pita. Crackers and cheese and turkey a la homemade Lunchables. My family loves tuna, chicken or egg salad on crackers instead of bread - or even with tortilla chips like a dip. Lots of fruits with lunch.

Dinner: If you have any soups or stews that they like you can make ahead and freeze into the larger round ZipLock storage containers. For me the stuff pops right out and into my crock pot. Stew, Taco soup, beans and rice, potato/ham chowder, tomato basil, chicken veggie...all with some french bread or crackers. Think of all the carbs protein and veg in one pot. You can also have frozen pasta and part thawed sauce in the crock pot together for spaghetti.

Will you have access to a grocery store at all?

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to think about those and see what will work for them.

I guess I should have explained myself better when I said they don't like sandwiches. They like bread just fine but not anything that normally would go in them (sandwich meet, egg/chicken/tuna/ salad etc) so wraps would be equally unappealing to them. I'm wondering if it's simply the cold food. We normally have fresh cooked food for every meal (or reheated leftovers), so I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

I don't know if there will be a grocery store or not. The hotel is in the area of the airport so I'm expecting it to be very business oriented. But since our budget is so tight, I'm hoping to bring as much as possible from home so I don't have to outlay any more cash and can just rely on things I've grown or bought at rock bottom prices.

I didn't realize I could freeze pasta, I had been trying to figure out how to cook it without having a place to boil it so that will work out great. I have lots of spaghetti sauce around.

Thanks again.

Will there be a coffee pot in your room? If so, you will be able to heat water quickly, which gives you a few more options. We have made instant oatmeal, lipton soup, and ramen noodles using the hotel's coffee pot to heat the water. It certainly was not gourmet, but it was easy and filled our bellies.