Menu

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor (Opinions, Please)

Is anyone familiar with or have an opinion about this text?

Has anyone used this text? If so, when and why?

DS will be finishing MUS Alg2 and I thought this might work as a transition year before dual enrollment. Although ds is finishing Alg2 in 10th grade, he does not like math or consider himself good at it. I am looking for an engaging text to accompany drill from Kumon.

Thanks-

Mandy

I have the book and instructor's guide but haven't used it. I'd be happy to look through and answer any more specific questions for you.

If you don't mind, what were you planning to do with it? And does it look like it would make for a good transition year between Alg2 and dual enrollment for a young man who doesn't like math?

Thanks-

Mandy

Has anyone used this text? If so, when and why?

My ds really likes this book. We use it for occasional special topics units, as a break from routine -- started doing that about the same time he began algebra.

I don't see how it would fit as a "transition" text. It does not fit into the algebra-geometry-etc. sequence. It is a collection of disparate interesting topics in math, and was originally written as a text for non-math/science college students.

Karen

My oldest is doing Alg II/Trig and I have two more so I'll be hanging on to it.

It has a lot of stuff that doesn't fall into any of the standard topics (algebra, trig, geometry, etc) like Fibonacci sequences, extrapolating, permutations and Moebius strips that are interesting and can be done anywhere from middle school on.

It also has some probability and statistics, scientific notation, logarithms, graphs, parabolas etc. These topics are all in my old Foerster's Alg II and Trig book.

The introduction says they were "astonished by how quickly it became the nation's most widely adopted high school and college introductory textbook" when it was first published in 1970, so I would think it would work to keep his math going before taking something like trig at a CC.

It could give him the extra practice and interest (and an extra year of maturity) to change his perceptions about his math ability but Karen is correct. This book may make him more "mathy" but it will not further him along the "math sequence."

Awhile ago I bought the whole set thinking that this would be a wonderful "break" book also. But, the reality was that everything in there we had covered in Algebra 2 or Precalculus and trig so I sold it. It would be a nice book for an advanced student in junior high, I think, in retrospect or even to use before starting algebra? I know several posts many moons ago said it was good as a capstone course before launching into calculus but I found that my kiddo was not into doing the chapters since they were repetitive for him despite the fact that he loved the approach and loved Jacob's style. (We used both his algebra and geometry.) He was much more interested in calculus than reviewing...

Mary

It would be a nice book for an advanced student in junior high, I think, in retrospect or even to use before starting algebra?

This is what I did -- used it with 2nd ds in ninth grade because I didn't feel he was ready for algebra.

Do you know anyone from whom you could borrow a copy to see whether or not it would fit for your ds?

This is what I did -- used it with 2nd ds in ninth grade because I didn't feel he was ready for algebra.

Do you know anyone from whom you could borrow a copy to see whether or not it would fit for your ds?

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone that has a copy. :sad:

It could give him the extra practice and interest (and an extra year of maturity) to change his perceptions about his math ability but Karen is correct. This book may make him more "mathy" but it will not further him along the "math sequence."

Yes, this is what I am wanting! He will also be doing Kumon, so I am not concerned with using a text to further his skills. I want a text that will be fun and give him a year to "change his perceptions about his math ability."

Thanks-

Mandy

Unfortunately, I do not know anyone that has a copy. :sad:

Two ideas, Mandy.

Check to see if your library can obtain the book through inter-library loan. Alternatively, do you have a college or university nearby? Check their library to see if they have a copy.

Regards,

Kareni