Menu

How to print photos stuck on my computer???

I have a digital camera. I figured out how to get the pictures off of it and onto my computer.

Now what?

How do I get them off to take them somewhere to be printed (after I crop them, and so forth)?

What do I put the photos on? Yes, okay, a disk -- but what kind? CD? DVD?

What kind of disk can be added to, with capability of taking stuff off and putting stuff on from time to time? Does the package say CD-R? Or CD - something else?

If I want extra copies of a few of the photos, should I just put them on the disk say twice, if I want 2 photos?

Where do I take the photos to be printed from a disk? I want to end up with 4 x 6 real photographs to put in a photo album.

Since there are no negatives, do I just save the photos on another disk for posterity? I do have Carbonite, and it looks like (from the green dots on the icons) that they are saved there as well.

Thank you so much for your help!

RC

It's easier to upload them to a photo site like snapfish or shutterfly. You can crop them from there and order prints in whatever size you want. You can also upload them to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, & Target. I'm sure there are lots of other sites I can't think of right now but those are the most common.

You can probably upload them to the place that you would normally take film to be developed. I use Sam's Club. Once they are uploaded you can crop them directly on the site (depending on who you use) and there will be a drop down to order the number of copies you want.

A back-up to Carbonite should be enough. Although a back up on DVD could be good because it's always a good idea to back-up twice.

I have a digital camera. I figured out how to get the pictures off of it and onto my computer.

Now what?

How do I get them off to take them somewhere to be printed (after I crop them, and so forth)?

What do I put the photos on? Yes, okay, a disk -- but what kind? CD? DVD?

What kind of disk can be added to, with capability of taking stuff off and putting stuff on from time to time? Does the package say CD-R? Or CD - something else?

If I want extra copies of a few of the photos, should I just put them on the disk say twice, if I want 2 photos?

Where do I take the photos to be printed from a disk? I want to end up with 4 x 6 real photographs to put in a photo album.

Since there are no negatives, do I just save the photos on another disk for posterity? I do have Carbonite, and it looks like (from the green dots on the icons) that they are saved there as well.

Thank you so much for your help!

RC

The easiest thing to do is to get a cheap thumb drive. You can add, remove and delete files at will. Most photo printing stations allow you to plug them in and browse them. Target will let you upload your photos to shutterfly (or other sites), have them printed at your local Target and you just pick them up. I know some other stores do something similar.

I have our photos backed up on an external hard drive.

What do I put the photos on? Yes, okay, a disk -- but what kind? CD? DVD? Either will work. A DVD holds a lot more photos than a CD, but it doesn't really matter. It is just important to back them up.

What kind of disk can be added to, with capability of taking stuff off and putting stuff on from time to time? Does the package say CD-R? Or CD - something else? You won't be taking the photos off the CD if you want to save them for future use or as negatives. Just add photos until the CD is full, then store it someplace safe. Another idea is to get an external hard drive and use it for storing your photo 'negatives'. I have mine stored on an external hard drive and on either cds or dvds.

If I want extra copies of a few of the photos, should I just put them on the disk say twice, if I want 2 photos? No - having two copies of the photos will just take up space you need for more photos. When you have the photos printed you tell the kiosk (or online ordering software) how many prints of each photo you want. Just put one copy of each photo onto the CD or DVD.

Where do I take the photos to be printed from a disk? I want to end up with 4 x 6 real photographs to put in a photo album. The easiest was is to decide where you want them printed, then upload them directly from your computer. I print mostly at Costco. I go online to Costco's Photo site, and follow their directions to select my photos and upload them, tell them how many of each photo, and what size photos I want, then go pick them up at Costco about an hour later. Easy Peasy. Most places that print photos let you upload that way. Shutterfly will let you upload them and then they mail you the photos. It's your choice. Or, you can take your cd of photos to Costco, Sam's, Walgreens, etc. and put it into the photo kiosk computer and tell it how many and what size of each photo you want printed. The big decision is where you want to have them printed. The process is about the same everywhere.

Since there are no negatives, do I just save the photos on another disk for posterity? I do have Carbonite, and it looks like (from the green dots on the icons) that they are saved there as well. As I mentioned above, you can save on cds, dvds, or on an external hard drive. There are also online photo storage sites where you can upload your photos.

I would second the thumb drive. Wal*mart has them for 12.00 for a 4gb. You can take them anywhere that prints photos and print them, the little kiosk you plug it into will have software you can crop and edit with right there. You can add to a thumb drive as many times as you need to until its full. It is easy to carry, and won't scratch like a CD or DVD.

Thank you, Dawn and Photo Ninja.

I do have a thumb drive, I just didn't know it would hold pictures.

This is a newfangled way of doing things for sure. I think I'll try uploading and picking the photos up first -- it sounds easier than using a photo kiosk.

Thank you for your help,

RC

I use the free Picasa from google, from it you can upload to just about anywhere that is easy for you, Kodak and have them mailed, Walmart, CVS and a ton of other photo hosting sites and order as you please.

After you import your photos just click "shopo" and those options will come up. You can also syn to web just to share photos and there is an option to allow others to add to the album, great for those occasions where lots of folks are snapping photos, then you can sync back to your album and go shop those too.

Use sites like Picasa only for sharing your photos. It does not upload your full resolution pictures. Also there is no gurantee that the pictures will be acrchived. You are expected to have your backup copy.

You cab backup your pictures just like you bcakup your other data files like documents etc either to a removable Hard drive/CD/DVD.

I usually use Costsco. This month they are running a sale 9C/print (4x6). CVS & Walgreens I had some terrible looking prints.

Walmart I had to carry the files on a flash drive & had to do the printing myself.

If you have 50+ prints, take a look at http://dealnews.com/How-To-Get-1-506-Free-Digital-Prints/374570.html They give you 20/50 free prints & charge for shipping.