Menu

Freezing shredded zucchini... blanch first or freeze raw?

I've never frozen zucchini before. I'm finding some recommendations to shred it and blanch, and some that say it's fine to freeze it raw. I plan to use it for zucchini bread and in soups or sauces. What has worked best for you?

I have froze mine raw with no issues. I freeze it raw and shredded all the time for future breads and sauces :D

:iagree: I'm about to set the dc to grating tonight. If I was planning to use it alone, I might try blanching, but since it's mixed into things like bread it doesn't matter too much about the texture. I do squeeze the water out after thawing & before using it, though.

I do squeeze the water out after thawing & before using it, though.

Me, too. I think you are supposed to blanch it, but I never have. I shred it, lay it on paper towels until I'm ready to put in bags (I usually do a lot at once), put it in the bags in 1 or 2 cup amts, and then freeze it. When I need it, I thaw the amt that I need, squeeze as much water out as I can (kind of like frozen spinach, but more gently) and use it for the recipe.

I've always frozen it raw too but unlike the others, I've always used any water that was in the package. I figured it was in the zucchini before I froze it so if I drained it off after, wouldn't it throw off the moisture content of the recipe? Never had anything not turn out with the extra water added in.