Menu

Considering reinforcing Jacob's Geometry with Teaching Company DVD's--thoughts???

My husband is an engineer and has done a great job teaching our kids math. The problem is, he travels a great deal and sometimes our math lessons don't have the continuity we would like. I'm considering purchasing the Geometry lectures from the Teaching Company to help reinforce the lessons when my husband is away. Has anyone else done this? How did it go? My understanding is the TTC lectures would not equal a stand-alone course, and that is fine with us. We've had good luck with Jacob's with our older child. I'd appreciate any input you could give me on your experience with TTC. Thanks in advance!

I got the TC geometry as vcr tapes for a great price and thought I would use two ways last year: as a weekly supplement to Jacob's Geometry for my 8th grader and also as a review for my 10th grader. The tapes were not a hit here - it is very low-tech as the teacher uses a blackboard and flip charts as he hurriedly talks through the lessons covering lots of material. We ended up using it once a week and only got a 1/3 of the way through them. I'm sure they are educationally sound and we did learn from them.....but ....I can't decide if we'll continue using them next year or not - hmmmm.

Myra

Myra

Myra

I haven't used them yet, but here's what I'm doing in the fall... I just finished scheduling the TTC dvds with the Holt Geometry 1997 that I'm going to be using. I showed a brief sample to my daughter of both the TTC and Teaching Textbooks dvds, and she chose TTC. The reason I wanted to use some sort of "lecture" is that my own presentation of concepts can be random and not well thought through (as we experienced in Alg 1 this year). Having a dvd to watch let's us hear the material once in a coherant manner as a first pass; then we'll get to the textbook, where the material will be presented again, and then she'll do the lesson. I will also be in a better position to help my daughter if I've had a review of the geometry to freshen it in my own mind. We'll see how it goes, but I'm optomistic that even if my daughter doesn't love it, it will be better than going through the text alone.