Menu

So is there an overnight change in teen boys?

I think I remember a friend mentioning this a few years ago. And now I definitely think I'm seeing it also.

My "little" boy is no longer little. It's not just about him getting taller than me (and dad!) or shaving the hair off his upper lip (and the little tuff under the bottom one).

But something seems just different. I'm not sure I can even put my finger on it exactly. Less childish, annoying, weird? He has a quieter presence, more confidence? something.

Maybe it's growing up. Maybe it's some of the changes for him (cpap machine, name change, new environment, being more capable at things he's doing, etc).

Maybe it's just a snowball and it all feeds into the whole. I don't know.

Anyway, my baby is growing up.

I think it really happens with boys. I noticed the same thing with our oldest DS (who is 38). Never really noticed it with our daughter.

Though youngest DS is only 5, I even notice it with him. I distinctly remember the day he was walking from our bedroom to his bedroom in his birthday suit and it hit me like a ton of bricks - he was no longer a toddler, but was now a little boy.

They grow up so fast.

It happened virtually overnight with ds13. This past winter, he was singing tenor with his dad in the church choir and hitting those notes just fine....still sounded young on the phone. The next day, he woke up, his voice was significantly lower and that young boy sound was gone. By the very next Sunday, he couldn't sing tenor anymore though now that he is able to adjust for the voice change, he is doing better. His voice never did the cracking thing, it just went LOW in his sleep.

He also began being very worried about privacy and in one 24 hour period he went from a perfectly clear face to a host of pimples! But, thankfully, he still plays with his legos and rockenbok!

Faith

I'm still waiting. Ds14 was always a later maturer.

He was also always a challenge, and he just got harder once he got hormones. We have just had a week's break from him and it has been peaceful! He is big, noisy, smelly, brash, self centred, demanding, and sometimes downright hostile. There are moments I remember I still adore him, when the sun shines through, but they are fewer than they have ever been. I do pretend he is still affectionate and light hearted, and hug him when he isn't looking :). He has matured somewhat, in some ways (especially physically!), but it seems he needs to do everything the hard way.

SO...I am patiently waiting for that overnight change you are talking about. :)

DS did have some physical changes that happened awhile back with his voice, body, etc. And then more recently, he seemed to have completely lost his mind (possibly mental illness severity). And then that quieted down. But now he's gotten even quieter mentally and emotionally. He seems and feels more capable in various areas (including academically). He seems more grown all of the sudden.