Menu

Keep all kids in same history cycle or break up so oldest can do MFW in high school?

Keep all kids in the same history or separate so oldest can do MFW high school?  

1. 1. Keep all kids in the same history or separate so oldest can do MFW high school?

• Keep all kids in the same history cycle.
    • Separate so oldest can do MFW hs.

My oldest will be in 7th this year, and I'm beginning to plan HIGH SCHOOL! I just can't believe it. My biggest "bump" so far is with history.

I have 3 kids, and we've stayed together in history the whole time. When we started homeschooling, I really didn't know about the 4 year history cycle, and so we've never been on the "right" years of that schedule. Yet, we've completed SL Cores 3-4 American history, and to keep the logical sequence, we'll study ancients next.

By the time each gets to 9th grade, I'm thinking of letting each of them do MFW high school. I love this curriculum. I feel like it will teach history AND it will cause them to spend time growing their relationship with the Lord. It will also foster independent learning as well as incorporating literature. It also teaches argumentative writing (persuasive, maybe.... I've been listening to SWB's lectures! :001_smile:) If we do this, there is a significant consequence:

Problem: If my oldest does MFW hs in 9th, my boys will stay together and continue the next consecutive year in the history cycle. While dd is doing ancients, the boys will be doing Early Modern. This would be the first time we would not be together in history.

Is this going to be a problem?

It's up to me really, because I don't have to use MFW. If we use a different curriculum, my kids could all stay together. They would all do Early Modern together when dd is in 9th. I just can't find something for that "route" that I like as well as MFW.

Should we:

* Stay together? Oldest will start Early Modern in 9th and finish with Middle Ages in 12th. What is your favorite curriculum for this choice?

* Separate so oldest can start MFW cycle? I love MFW high school!

I posted the same poll on the K-8 board and I've gotten several responses. Does anyone on the high school board use MFW for high school? I think it's a fairly popular curriculum, but this makes me wonder what most high schoolers use if MFW isn't so much of a contender.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from the high school board.:001_smile:

I posted the same poll on the K-8 board and I've gotten several responses. Does anyone on the high school board use MFW for high school?

:seeya:

If not for MFW, we'd be doing Notgrass (which MFW uses, but we were going to do Notgrass by itself), BJU (at least for history, not sure what else) or TOG. I seriously looked at TOG a couple years ago, but MFW seemed a lot more "doable" to me and is definitely college prep material, so I didn't see a need to switch to TOG.

Just as a forewarning, though.... her first couple of weeks in AHL were like trying to drink from a firehose. It was a LOT at first, and there was definitely an adjustment period. But then it smoothed out to a more "even keel". The instructions in the lesson plan book and the Lit Supplement are very clear. Your dd will need some hand-holding at the beginning, but it'll be okay. Just take it one step at a time, and you'll be fine. :001_smile: (And trust me, I was TERRIFIED! :tongue_smilie: )

Let me just say that I have my oldest dd doing TOG Year 4 (American History) next year and my next dd doing Heart of Dakota Resurrection to Reformation next year. We are just finishing up lasts year this way as well.

It has actually been really nice for me and the students (surprisingly). It always feels fresh not having to have the same discussion twice and both girls find themselves interested in what the other is doing so they get some BONUS history along the way. I like to incorporate DVD's into our history (Drive Through History) and have found them watching each others DVDs.

My oldest will be in 7th this year, and I'm beginning to plan HIGH SCHOOL! I just can't believe it. My biggest "bump" so far is with history.

I have 3 kids, and we've stayed together in history the whole time. When we started homeschooling, I really didn't know about the 4 year history cycle, and so we've never been on the "right" years of that schedule. Yet, we've completed SL Cores 3-4 American history, and to keep the logical sequence, we'll study ancients next.

By the time each gets to 9th grade, I'm thinking of letting each of them do MFW high school. I love this curriculum. I feel like it will teach history AND it will cause them to spend time growing their relationship with the Lord. It will also foster independent learning as well as incorporating literature. It also teaches argumentative writing (persuasive, maybe.... I've been listening to SWB's lectures! :001_smile:) If we do this, there is a significant consequence:

Problem: If my oldest does MFW hs in 9th, my boys will stay together and continue the next consecutive year in the history cycle. While dd is doing ancients, the boys will be doing Early Modern. This would be the first time we would not be together in history.

Is this going to be a problem?

It's up to me really, because I don't have to use MFW. If we use a different curriculum, my kids could all stay together. They would all do Early Modern together when dd is in 9th. I just can't find something for that "route" that I like as well as MFW.

Should we:

* Stay together? Oldest will start Early Modern in 9th and finish with Middle Ages in 12th. What is your favorite curriculum for this choice?

* Separate so oldest can start MFW cycle? I love MFW high school!

Does the 4 year cycle of MFW have to be done in the order of 9th - 12th? Could you keep the same cycle going by doing the last 2 years of MFW for 9th and 10th, then go back to Ancients in 11th?

Does the 4 year cycle of MFW have to be done in the order of 9th - 12th? Could you keep the same cycle going by doing the last 2 years of MFW for 9th and 10th, then go back to Ancients in 11th?

Actually, it is written to start with ancients and progress from there. I emailed that very question. The years get progressively harder, so I don't think anyone would choose to change the plan.

Actually, it is written to start with ancients and progress from there. I emailed that very question. The years get progressively harder, so I don't think anyone would choose to change the plan.

Yes, because with the biblical worldview and writing challenges that are built into the program, the rhetoric thinking and composition skills get progressively harder. Those three subjects -- History, English and Bible -- are very integrated.

I guess it would depend on what you were coming FROM if starting MFW partway through high school... but if starting it in 9th grade, you should probably start with Ancients.

Edited by Donna A.