Menu

s/o WWE question

Penny_P

You can get the "textbook" and then you don't need need the workbooks because all the lessons are there. The kids just have to write them in a notebook. This would be the most economical.

OR you can get the workbooks and skip the text. More expensive for each workbook but some like the "open and go."

You don't need both. I'd look for the text on the used boards-I've seen quite a few of them.

The only downside of just getting the text "The Complete Writer" is that it only has narration/copywork for some of the weeks of the years. So, it will have narration and copywork for week 1, but then say to follow the same pattern for weeks 2-5 using sources of your own. The upside is that it has all four years included, so you have a better picture of the overall goals of elementary (gr. 1-4) writing.

The leveled, individual workbooks (WWE level 1, etc.) have all the narration and copywork for the entire year (36 weeks, IIRC). So, they are more expensive, but there's far less planning if you prefer to have it laid out for you. Plus, if you have multiple kids that will eventually use the same materials, you can either just re-purchase the student writing pages from the back of the workbook, or have them write their copywork on a separate piece of paper/composition book.

I have both, but use the workbooks every week. I am pulling out the hard-backed text this next week as I forgot to order level 2 and level 4 of WWE, and am not sure if they will get to me before Monday. But, with three kids and one on the way, I'm not up for always having to find my own copywork and narration (though some weeks we do when we want a break from just doing the selections in WWE). The workbooks give me the ability to have it all laid out in front of me.

Edited by MyLittleWonders

Sooo... the "writing pages." Are these just lined paper? Is the copywork on the top? I have two that will be on the same level. Wondering if the easiest thing (although perhaps not the least expensive) would be to have two workbooks so the kids aren't fighting over one?

The copywork is on the top. The workbooks are GREAT, imo. Open & go, which is what I love. I take my workbooks down to the copy shop, have them spiral bind the "teacher" part and 3 hole punch the student pages. Then I scan in (at home) the student pages, since we are allowed to make copies for use within our own families, and then I won't have to buy them for my son in a couple years. It would be quite a bit more work to just use the Textbook, I think. Plus, the student pages often have illustrations on them that go with the reading, which makes it a little more fun, I think.

HTH!

The only downside of just getting the text "The Complete Writer" is that it only has narration/copywork for some of the weeks of the years. So, it will have narration and copywork for week 1, but then say to follow the same pattern for weeks 2-5 using sources of your own. The upside is that it has all four years included, so you have a better picture of the overall goals of elementary (gr. 1-4) writing.

The leveled, individual workbooks (WWE level 1, etc.) have all the narration and copywork for the entire year (36 weeks, IIRC). So, they are more expensive, but there's far less planning if you prefer to have it laid out for you. Plus, if you have multiple kids that will eventually use the same materials, you can either just re-purchase the student writing pages from the back of the workbook, or have them write their copywork on a separate piece of paper/composition book.

I have both, but use the workbooks every week. I am pulling out the hard-backed text this next week as I forgot to order level 2 and level 4 of WWE, and am not sure if they will get to me before Monday. But, with three kids and one on the way, I'm not up for always having to find my own copywork and narration (though some weeks we do when we want a break from just doing the selections in WWE). The workbooks give me the ability to have it all laid out in front of me.

I thought I would feel this way, but have been surprised how much we like pulling our copywork/dictation from books we're already reading. You might try borrowing The Complete Writer from your library or a friend, and implementing it for a month or so on a trial basis to see if you like pulling your own passages, or whether you'd rather use the workbooks for ease of planning.

Yes, you can "rip out" the student pages from the workbook they are perforated. Then you could store them and copy as needed. You can also purchase extra student pages from Peace Hill Press.

FYI: One issue I had with the student pages is that the lines were just too large for my child. I chose to make my own pages with a smaller line size using "Startwrite" software.

I feel like this thread is very confusing.

Get the hardback text if you want to choose your own passages and use your own paper.

Get the workbook if you want every day planned out, the passages and copywork picked, the questions written down, and lined pages for the student.

For a second child you can use your own paper, buy (or download) an extra set of student pages from Peace Hill Press, or make copies from the workbook. Don't get two workbooks. You also can buy the whole workbook as a download.

We always found it just as easy to use our own paper because the lines/print never seemed to be what we needed. The lines might be too big, or we wanted cursive, or (at the beginning) the copywork isn't written out on the dashed lines so it was too hard for my beginners to figure out how to do thier own sentance.