Menu

Are there standardized tests I can give my kids myself...

Punkinelly

just to see where they are? I would want to grade them myself. Testing is not required in my state, but I thought it would be nice to see how they do. This would be for 4th and 7th graders. Also my 9th and 10th graders, if I can get tests for those grades, too.

Thanks for any recommendations you can give me.

Mary

just to see where they are? I would want to grade them myself. Testing is not required in my state, but I thought it would be nice to see how they do. This would be for 4th and 7th graders. Also my 9th and 10th graders, if I can get tests for those grades, too.

Thanks for any recommendations you can give me.

Mary

I tested my kids last year with the California Achievement Test. I bought it from a website called Family Learning Organization. However, I didn't grade them myself. I tested them, and then sent the tests in to be graded. It was really nice b/c I got to see right where we needed to work in terms of weaknesses. The cost of the tests were $35 each. HTH

You do have to have a bachelor's degree to administer the Iowas.

One other option: Administer a test PREP book to your kids just as if it were a real test. The advantage to this is that you know EXACTLY what things your child missed. With the "real" tests you never know this--you only know their scores and how those scores compare to other children nationwide.

You can also print the Texas TAKS from here: http://scotthochberg.com/taas.html

And the Florida FCAT from here: http://fcat.fldoe.org/fcatrelease.asp

Don't know how good either one of them are. I just remember someone on a different board mentioning them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting these. I hadn't even thought to look for the TAKS test online. This will be excellent preparation for my son as he prepares for his first round of standardized tests in May. Now, if someone could just find a practice Stanford test we would be in great shape. :lol:

I tested my kids last year with the California Achievement Test. I bought it from a website called Family Learning Organization. However, I didn't grade them myself. I tested them, and then sent the tests in to be graded. It was really nice b/c I got to see right where we needed to work in terms of weaknesses. The cost of the tests were $35 each. HTH

I believe Seton sells them for $25. HTH.

Seton Testing Services

I would just buy a Spectrum Test Prep book from the local TAPs store. This is what I use to prepare my boys for the IOWA -- which I adminster. But, this costs $38, while the test prep book only costs $9.00.

I only give the IOWA because something like this is required in my state. I really don't care how my boys compare to others their age. I just want to know what they have mastered vs have not mastered. I'd do this for $9 each per year rather than $38.