Menu

Even more confused about Geometry/upper maths now...

After reading some old threads along with the responses I've gotten, as well as recent threads, I am even MORE confused about what to do with my son for the rest of his math.

I was thinking MUS, then worried the Geometry might not be as thorough as he needs (he's thinking of architecture). I considered Jacob's, but am not sure about the learning style, and I was concerned about the lack of teacher support materials. I went to the AoPS site and was really impressed, but wonder if I can teach this without any video support. (then I see the Salman Kahn site and think maybe I can use those explanations to supplement so I might be okay)

There is the Math Without Borders that has teaching dvd's. Teaching Textbooks is complete with all that, but probably not as thorough as he needs. Chalkdust is just out because it's WAY too expensive.

So tell me folks, just tell me what to do...

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

AoPS does have online classes if you feel they are what's best for your ds but you aren't sure you can do it yourself. I believe they also provide support for their books if you have questions and have been very fast to respond to my questions if you think you don't need someone teaching the class but to answer questions when you get stuck.

One reason I plan on keeping the child who needs more with MUS and supplementing it with AoPS instead of switching is for the DVD instruction (he also does NOT want to leave MUS). It's been so long since I took upper level math and I learned how to "do" math instead of understand it so I've forgotten a lot and wouldn't want to try teaching it without the DVD first teaching me. I'm hoping this will give us the best of both worlds but only time will tell. AoPS does list supplementing another curriculum as one way to use their curriculum so I don't think I'm going way out on a limb in thinking that it has the potential to be successful:lol:

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I guess I'm sharing in your misery :001_huh:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I just think I'd be more satisfied with one really good one than trying to mesh two together. Now if I could just find that one really good one...

I understand:001_smile: I would email AoPS and talk to them about your desires, needs, and concerns. They have been VERY helpful and prompt for me and I'm sure would be happy to help you figure out if you could use it on your own, if taking classes would be better, etc.

After reading some old threads along with the responses I've gotten, as well as recent threads, I am even MORE confused about what to do with my son for the rest of his math.

I was thinking MUS, then worried the Geometry might not be as thorough as he needs (he's thinking of architecture). I considered Jacob's, but am not sure about the learning style, and I was concerned about the lack of teacher support materials. I went to the AoPS site and was really impressed, but wonder if I can teach this without any video support. (then I see the Salman Kahn site and think maybe I can use those explanations to supplement so I might be okay)

There is the Math Without Borders that has teaching dvd's. Teaching Textbooks is complete with all that, but probably not as thorough as he needs. Chalkdust is just out because it's WAY too expensive.

So tell me folks, just tell me what to do...

I wouldn't dare! :lol:

I did borrow a copy of AoPS Intro. to Geometry. Maybe it's just me, but these programs all begin to look alike..... :glare:

My impression of this book is that it seems like an amalgamation of Saxon and the SAT prep books with the detailed problem explanations, all rolled into one. I think it would be a good format for self-teaching.

If you want proofs, TT has more.

Also, someone suggested DIVE software (the ones that go with the Saxon texts) on another thread. I ordered the Algebra II and Calculus and they're excellent - I'm really pleased. So that's another option if you like the idea of electronic instruction. The Saxon books teach geometry throughout, and they also have a separate geometry text (which I confess, we haven't used much).

First, I must have pictures of the pot-bellied pigs!!!

If you like MUS, do it. That simple. There I told you what to do. If you have time left over at the end of it, then do a supplement.

With math, the kid has to get it. To get it, you have to do it at the level they are at, NOT at the level you think they should do. I struggled with Chalkdust with both kids, it was too hard. When it is too hard, there is no retention. Better to go easy and get it. Then add to it when they get it.

Last year, we started with Chalkdust Geometry with dd, it was too much for her (and she is a good student). BJU was a good fit for us (with the online or dvd option). It was easier than CD, but covered everything, and was paced slower.

I'll chime in again on Holt Geometry. Here's the link for the thread about it. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193002&highlight=Holt+Geometry

Ed Burger is a great teacher. There are videos for all the lessons in the book here for free on the homework help link. http://go.hrw.com/gopages/ma/geo_07.html I got both the book and the teacher cd that has ALL the helps/tests/extra worksheets/way more than you will ever use on it on Amazon used.

Throwing another one in the mix... have you considered Videotext Geometry? You wouldn't have to do the whole 2-year program. Modules A-D are the portion that would correspond to a "geometry" course. The rest is trig and other final concepts. My ds did Modules A-D and then went into Precalculus (largely because E and F didn't become available in time, but it turned out to be a good path and I'm considering the same for dd this year.)

Videotext is very thorough, and it centers on proofs. The video presentations are excellent, and there are complete answers (incl proofs) for all the problems. You do have to bear in mind when grading though, that there's more than one way to do a proof. The answer key will give one way--your child's may not match it exactly, so you have to evaluate the child's logic and make sure it's sound--iow, you as the parent do have to have a grasp of what's going on, but this is quite doable if you just watch the videos along with dc.

The ony difficulty will be fitting it all into one year. It's easy to do A-C in a 36-week year. Adding D (which is the most challenging one) will require either a bit of an accelerated pace, or extending the length of your school year. We got around it by rolling Module D into our Precalculus year (doing it in the fall). But that might not work for everyone. The first edition books also contain quite a few errors--they probably have errata out now, if not new editions. You just have to roll with that and not get too bent out of shape over it...