Menu

First Language Lessons question

SproutMamaK

I got my copy of First Language Lessons. It's not what I was expecting. ;) For some reason I thought I'd be getting a Grade One grammar book, all neatly broken down into what to teach each week. Clearly, that is not the case.:lol:

So how long is it SUPPOSED to take me to get through FLL? Am I supposed to aim for doing a lesson every day and getting through it by the end of Grade two or so? Is this supposed to be a once a week thing? I'm uncertain about what sort of grammatical knowledge is supposed to be taught at which grade level, so I'm not sure if the lessons towards the end are designed for first graders or fifth graders.

Any insight for me? What's a realistic gameplan for working through this book?

It's meant to be done every day for grades 1 and 2 - I think there are 100 lessons for each grade? The grammar starts really slowly in the first year and really picks up in the 2nd. There is a list of all of the terms they will have learned/memorized in the back, that might help you get the scope of the book.

At first the scripted-ness of the book got to me, but I got used to that and it's really helpful! Most days we can get through a lesson in 10-15 minutes and I have skipped a few here and there if it was material dd definitely already knew, like the days of the week and months of the year.

HTH!

I just cracked my book open and found this on the top of p.17: " The first 100 lessons are intended for first-grade students; dictation exercises begin in second grade, lessons 101-200." It goes on to tell you it is two years worth of material. You should also continue at some rate through the summer. My dd started when she was 5.5 yo and has done 2-3 lessons per week. We will be finishing up in the next few weeks (about two years since we began) and are both very pleased with the knowledge she has gained. Best wishes!

I've read in other posts about this that ideally it would be done 3 times a week. This would fit into about 40 weeks. I do it 4x a week and I have a hard time slowing down sometimes, but I do if it seems necessary. We are on FLL 2 and I had to take a week to review a couple of the poems that have been forgotten over time. The pace also depends on the child. Good luck.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
If this is the first book and includes FLL1 and 2, then doing three lessons a week should get you done by the end of 2nd grade.

This is our plan. We are doing FLL MWF for 1st grade. I took 100 lessons and divided by 36 weeks that are required.