Menu

question about labor/contractions?

My second child is due in 2 weeks; my first was delivered via emergency c-section, without my really having been in labor......so I don't really have any experience with this. I think I'm having contractions- for a couple of days, I've had brief, intense pain very similar to menstrual cramps. BUT- the pain is only very low- it's not across my stomach, although my uterus does get very hard. Also, it comes in waves, I have several in one hour and then nothing for 6-8 hours. Does this sound like it could be contractions?

Guest CharNC

It sounds like Braxton-Hicks. I would mention it at your next doctors appt. They will probably check you to see if you have been having contractions. With all 3 of my children I had contractions weeks before they were born.

But, ahem, don't wait too long lest you may be able to deliver in the elevator.

I would say, if contractions are increasing in intensity and getting closer together, get ready to have someone take you to the hospital. At this point I would have standing arrangements with someone to take your child at any hour of day or night and arrangements for driving if your dh is not around 24/7.

It could be your body gearing up for labor. I wouldn't call it "false labor" because I really do think that those contractions are helping you prepare for the big event.

I would call your doctor if your contractions are getting 1) stronger 2) longer and 3) closer together.

I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm really, really hoping that I'm very dilated. The thing is, they're coming in clusters with hours in between?!??!? I've never heard anybody talk about that before. And it's been like this for three days.

Believe me, I am ready to go to the hospital! Bags are packed, my sis-in-law is ready to take ds and dh's work is only a couple miles away.

When you say "low" do you mean on the uterus or more like on the cervix? Whenever I felt it like this (low, inside, cervix area), I assumed it was dilation. And for the six that I delivered naturally (meaning not a C-section), I delivered quite quickly -- making me think the cervix was quite dilated when the uterine contractions began.

My second child is due in 2 weeks; my first was delivered via emergency c-section' date=' without my really having been in labor......so I don't really have any experience with this. I think I'm having contractions- for a couple of days, I've had brief, intense pain very similar to menstrual cramps. BUT- the pain is only very low- it's not across my stomach, although my uterus does get very hard. Also, it comes in waves, I have several in one hour and then nothing for 6-8 hours. Does this sound like it could be contractions?[/quote']

Sounds like Braxton-Hicks. I started having them at 4.5 months with my first, and had them regularly from 30 weeks on with my second. As pp's said, they prepare your body for labor and lead up to the real thing.