Menu

Another MCT post-What it covers

Paige

Does MCT cover these and similar topics?

Punctuation

Capitalization

Quotations

Citations

Possessives

Plurals

Conjugation

We are starting in the Island level and I'm not too concerned about it not covering it in this level if it gets to it in another level. If it doesn't cover these things at all, however, I want to get something to supplement. I had already planned on doing an editing workbook but I don't know if that would be enough. My DS knows a little about most of those topics already but he definitely needs practice and some things he hasn't been taught about at all yet. Now, I'm thinking of picking up the 3rd grade Climbing to Good English set because it is so cheap and quick and easy looking but I can't find it to look at in person. Would that be too much to do with MCT? I don't want to supplement just to supplement, but I do think it is important to cover those topics explicitly before middle school.

When entering a MCT program, should you go down a grade if you have an on-grade student? Since his program is for "gifted"? (For ex: would I start with the 3/4 grade poetry-- instead of the 4/5 -- with my 5th grader?)

IMO, you won't need to. The fact of the one-on-one teaching that is homeschooling will allow you to use the program at the age/grade the site recommends. It's not so much that it's harder, it's just that it doesn't beat you over the head with information. I think you'll be just fine with the 5/6 poetry--it's largely a deeper review of the Island level. You can take as much time as you need--that's the real difference. :)

IMO, you won't need to. The fact of the one-on-one teaching that is homeschooling will allow you to use the program at the age/grade the site recommends. It's not so much that it's harder, it's just that it doesn't beat you over the head with information. I think you'll be just fine with the 5/6 poetry--it's largely a deeper review of the Island level. You can take as much time as you need--that's the real difference. :)

Thanks for the insight! :)

Do Town level with a 5th grader. You could do Voyage, but I think it depends on your kid. I love Town level so much, and think that it is a wonderful MCT introduction.

It does cover most (if not all) of those topics but not in an obvious way. It is integrated. I will tell you, that the punctuation part is the ONLY time in my life when I have actually understood when and why you use a semi-colon. ;)