Menu

Year-round schooling and applying for college

I posted a question about this a long time ago, but I worded it wrong so I didn't really get the answers I wanted.

I know I can take my SATs and ACTs on time with it, but I am more worried about the college process.

I understand that when accepted to a college, you are accepted on the condition that you keep up your grades and they want a final transcript at the end of your school year.

How late is too late to send in the final transcript? I plan on schooling year round but I set a limit for my Senior Year so I could finish by June so I could send in the final transcript, but by setting that limit for when I'll finish my Senior Year, I had to limit how long my Junior Year would take so I could start Senior Year soon enough.

What is the latest that colleges in your experience would want to see a final transcript?

What has been your experience with year-round schooling during your child's Senior Year?

Thanks

Might make you feel better. Oldest dd just finished up the bulk of her courses. She has to complete one more. She says she thinks it will be done by Aug 1.

She starts Aug 26, the college she is going to will take final transcript up to the day she starts. Phew.

Might make you feel better. Oldest dd just finished up the bulk of her courses. She has to complete one more. She says she thinks it will be done by Aug 1.

She starts Aug 26, the college she is going to will take final transcript up to the day she starts. Phew.

Thanks.

I tried emailing all the colleges I was interested in to ask for a deadline for the final transcript, but they either had no email and just a number for admissions, or they didn't answer. I can understand since I am only a Junior and not their biggest priority as they prepare for their Freshman.

I guess if the college I go to wants it by a certain date and I am not done, I can just send in a final transcript and finish everything up. *I* know I wouldn't slack off in the work I didn't do even though I sent in the transcript and the college wouldn't know. Would that be fraudulent in anyway? I doubt I would have much to finish because the latest I estimated being done was late June, but just in case...

I guess if the college I go to wants it by a certain date and I am not done, I can just send in a final transcript and finish everything up. *I* know I wouldn't slack off in the work I didn't do even though I sent in the transcript and the college wouldn't know. Would that be fraudulent in anyway? I doubt I would have much to finish because the latest I estimated being done was late June, but just in case...

The final transcript seems needed to complete the file in admissions. Some of the colleges note that merit aid offers are contingent upon receiving the final transcript. Perhaps the school wants to make sure that an admitted student did not drop all of her courses or fail everything?

Many high schools in the Northeast are in session until mid or late June. Counselors then have to submit paperwork. I think that having a goal of sending that transcript by the end of June is a good one since some colleges have registration sessions that month. When my son met with his temporary advisor at the LAC which he is attending in the fall (this was during a June registration session), a copy of his transcript was pulled out of his file to aid in the registration process. Admittedly, not all colleges do this.

The irony here is that while colleges seek independent learners, one still has to conform to certain timetables in order for the school to fit you into their system where they will continue to encourage your independence. No escape from calendars and the clock sometimes.

My D's best friend (Senior) applied for college in Jan of her Senior year and was accepted, conditionally, based upon receipt of final transcript.

By April this same girl knew she was going to fail 2 classes, AP Physics and AP Comp Science and she contacted the college. The college said she would have to go to summer school (and pass) and she would have up until the first day of Fall to submit the summer school transcript.