Menu

What could I substitute for a poblano pepper?

I found a recipe for Southwestern Chicken Salad that looks good, but I don't think I'll be able to find a poblano pepper here. I've never had one, so I don't really know what it is. Does anyone know what would be a suitable substitute?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I would probably use an Anaheim? Do you have those? If not, some seeded and deveined jalapenos would work.

Thanks, ladies. I don't know if I can find an anaheim either. If not I'll just go with de-veining and de-seeding a jalapeno.

Poblanos are generally used with the skins roasted (blackened) and then removed. If you can't find an Anaheim, you could de-veining and de-seeding a small amount of Jalapeno and some proportion of regular bell pepper (depending on your tolerance for picante) but roasting the skins of both will get you closest to the Poblano flavor.

Bill

Poblanos are generally used with the skins roasted (blackened) and then removed. If you can't find an Anaheim, you could de-veining and de-seeding a small amount of Jalapeno and some proportion of regular bell pepper (depending on your tolerance for picante) but roasting the skins of both will get you closest to the Poblano flavor.

Bill

The recipe doesn't call for roasting, just chopping and adding to the rest of the salad ingredients. I could do a mix of Jalapeno and bell pepper, though. I guess I'll have to play with it and see what tastes good. Thanks.

The recipe doesn't call for roasting, just chopping and adding to the rest of the salad ingredients. I could do a mix of Jalapeno and bell pepper, though. I guess I'll have to play with it and see what tastes good. Thanks.

Since you don't have Poblanos you don't need to worry about it, but the skin on raw Poblanos is unpalatable in its waxiness, and the flavor of the flesh is not so good. but this pepper transforms when it is roasted and the skin is removed, or when it is dried and becomes an Ancho chile. I'd be skeptical of a recipe that called for raw Poblanos.

And I've got a feeling you will actually be better off with your "substitute" mix of Jalapenos and Bell peppers which are fine raw.

Lucky you! :D

Bill

Since you don't have Poblanos you don't need to worry about it, but the skin on raw Poblanos is unpalatable in its waxiness, and the flavor of the flesh is not so good. but this pepper transforms when it is roasted and the skin is removed, or when it is dried and becomes an Ancho chile. I'd be skeptical of a recipe that called for raw Poblanos.

It's a recipe from Southern Living . http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1997563

Hope it turns out all right.

It's a recipe from Southern Living . http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1997563

Hope it turns out all right.

3/4 Cup of Mayo? Gack!

I don't think the folks at Southern Living know the first thing about the South-West, or chili peppers, or "salads".

The only "green" in this "salad" is 1/4 cup of cilantro. Plus the raw Poblano (which is almost indigestible raw). You're lucky you couldn't find any :D

I'm not loving this recipe, but I'm hoping your version is to your liking.

Bill