Menu

Just got Conceptual Physics in the mail and now am torn...

I just received Conceptual Physics in the mail and it looks awesome. I already have Apologia Physics and was planning on that for the fall. Here is some background. My dd is going to be a senior. She wants to attend a local nursing school that is very competative. She was told by the admissions counselor that they like to see applicants who challenge themselves. So she wants to do chemistry (which we had already planned) and physics. The Apologia physics has a lot of math where the Conceptual Physics seems less intense. I am drawn to the Conceptual Physics. She doesn't need the physics for nursing school. It will just help set her apart from other applicants. Would there be any harm in using something that doesn't have all the math? Thoughts????

Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

What math has she already completed? Would the physics classes be labeled any differently on her transcript or would the course be called "Physics" regardless of which text is used?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
She will be doing Precalculus in the fall. I would label it as physics on her transcript regardless of which text we use.

Then I would do Conceptual Physics. Some basic knowledge of Trig is necessary so if you want to do it you'll either have to start Pre-Calc early or Physics late. Since it's not something she actually needs I wouldn't stress over the math.

FWIW, my dh is a high school physics teacher and loves the Conceptual Physics books (particularly for the less math-intense approach to physics). Also, if you had to cite your textbook, Conceptual Physics would likely be more recognizable to the college. If CP is what you're leaning toward anyway, it seems like the way to go! :)

I would recommend Conceptual Physics. It's a great text. Even though there is not a lot of math required, the concepts are pretty sophisticated, and understanding basic Physics will help her down the road in all her science courses.

Best wishes to both of you as you work on that nursing school application.

Brenda

I just received Conceptual Physics in the mail and it looks awesome. I already have Apologia Physics and was planning on that for the fall. Here is some background. My dd is going to be a senior. She wants to attend a local nursing school that is very competative. She was told by the admissions counselor that they like to see applicants who challenge themselves. So she wants to do chemistry (which we had already planned) and physics. The Apologia physics has a lot of math where the Conceptual Physics seems less intense. I am drawn to the Conceptual Physics. She doesn't need the physics for nursing school. It will just help set her apart from other applicants. Would there be any harm in using something that doesn't have all the math? Thoughts????

Thanks!

Conceptual Physics is considered a freshman class. If you just want it on the transcript, that will be an easy way to get it there. If they ask for the textbook title, they will know that it was not a math-physics--but if you are O.K. with that, what does it matter?

If she has already done the rest of the Apologia series, there will not be a whole lot new in Conceptual Physics. I sat down with Hewitt's 3rd edition and walked through them. CP goes a little deeper into the subjects and strays into a few other ideas, but there was not much that was not covered in Apologia already. It did look like a fun book, however, especially after having done the Apologia approach which lacks the photos and the "catch the kid's attention" format.

FWIW, my son decided he really wanted physics when he was in 12th grade. He did Apologia Chem 1st semester and Apol. Physics 2nd. He was concurrently taking Algebra II. He whipped through both of them easily enough (which has always puzzled me since math was his bane).

FWIW,

Jean

Are you doing the college level Conceptual Physics or the high school level? Having reviewed both books, I'd say that the college level course is more challenging and focuses a bit more on the math but you can tailor this focus depending on what kinds of labs and other work that you do with it. Still, it only requires Algebra and the level of trig that my son was exposed to in Algebra I. We are using the college level text (10th ed) this year for an introductory course along with Practicing Physics that goes with it. Along with some worksheets, Practicing Physics has all of the odd number solutions to the exercises in the book. I love that feature! For labs we're using Take-Home Physics: 65 High-Impact, Low-Cost Labs. IMO, Conceptual Physics offers a good foundation for any student whether they are starting out on a path to more advanced physics or just wanting one introductory course.

Since your daughter wants to go into nursing, I would think the level of chemistry would be more important. Conceptual Physics is a good high school/college-prep course, especially since she hasn't had physics prior to this.

I love the Conceptual Physics book. I disagree that it is mostly covered in the other Apologia books - it has a physics focus and takes the concepts much farther.

Either the high school version or the college version should be fine. The high school version is usually used as an upper level high school course and the college edition is oviously used as a college text, so I don't think there is anything wrong with labeling either as high school physics.

A book that goes great with the textbook is Practicing Physics (this is basically the next time questions, but in a better format to give to studetns).

If you want to do labs, there is lab book that goes with it. Some of the labs are great, but you have to filter through them.

A place to get free supplemental labs (which are great) by the same author is:

http://www.arborsci.com/Labs/CP_Labs_Selection_2.aspx?utm_source=CP%2Bsuppliment&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=CP%2Bsuppliment

The next time questions (which are great) can be found here:

http://www.arborsci.com/Labs/CP_NTQ.aspx

Hope these resources help.

I disagree that it is mostly covered in the other Apologia books - it has a physics focus and takes the concepts much farther.

I agree with you. I've used both Apologia (general, physical, biology, and chemistry) as well as CP and the CP book goes far beyond the basic Apologia books. CP is an excellent high school level text. I highly recommend having a student do this course before tackling a trig/calculus based course.

I think it would be very sufficient for a student aspiring to a nursing program. Remember, the nursing student will take college level physics (of some sort) as a college prerequisite anyways.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I agree with you. I've used both Apologia (general, physical, biology, and chemistry) as well as CP and the CP book goes far beyond the basic Apologia books. CP is an excellent high school level text. I highly recommend having a student do this course before tackling a trig/calculus based course.

I think it would be very sufficient for a student aspiring to a nursing program. Remember, the nursing student will take college level physics (of some sort) as a college prerequisite anyways.

I didn't but it's been a number of years since I was in nursing school;) I never took physics at all (high school or college) and was accepted to UCSD's nursing program.

For nursing school my dd won't need physics. So after discussing pros and cons of both books with my husband (who has the physics degree and will do the teaching) we have decided to go with the Apologia. He really wants a math based physics for her. Now dd number 2 will be a different story. She may do Conceptual Physics. She is decent at math but really dislikes it. Thanks to everyone for your input. It really helped us in our decision making process!