Menu

Question about starting AAS

I'm using AAS with my 1st grader (he actually started in K)... we're just going slow. He doesn't have much of an attention span so AAS is great... we just work for 10 min. or so and I mark where we leave off. We just pick it up the next time where we leave off.

I would put your 3rd grader in Level 2... you will probably move quickly through that so you may want to think about ordering Level 3 as well unless your child is really struggling. If he's doing well in spelling he'll probably move pretty fast. My older ds started in Level 2 about a year and half ago and we are on Level 5 now.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I would start them both in Level 1. Even most older children start in Level 1 because it builds on itself. They are just levels of progression, not grade levels.

The All About Spelling program is a building block program: one level builds upon the previous one. In order to build a strong foundation, we recommend that most students start with All About Spelling Level One. If the child has worked with a phonogram-based program before, though, he may be able to go directly into Level Two.

There are also FAQ's and samples on their website that you would probably find helpful.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Hi,

There are several posters on this board who know lots more about this than I do, but here's my 2cents. I would put them both in level 1, but not together. If your 3rd grader has had good phonetic instruction, then he will fly through level 1(like in a month), go pretty fast through level 2(a month or two), then slow down a bit at level 3. Your 1st grader would probably be a good fit for level 1. So, in your situation I would order all 3 levels. You can find them used here on the boards, but I just ordered my level 3 from RR (and of course you can order them directly through AAS website). I am no expert on this, but have been given LOTS of advice on this board. We love AAS. My dd8 always ask to do it.

Hi,

There are several posters on this board who know lots more about this than I do, but here's my 2cents. I would put them both in level 1, but not together. If your 3rd grader has had good phonetic instruction, then he will fly through level 1(like in a month), go pretty fast through level 2(a month or two), then slow down a bit at level 3. Your 1st grader would probably be a good fit for level 1. So, in your situation I would order all 3 levels. You can find them used here on the boards, but I just ordered my level 3 from RR (and of course you can order them directly through AAS website). I am no expert on this, but have been given LOTS of advice on this board. We love AAS. My dd8 always ask to do it.

:iagree:I would definitely order levels one and two at the same time and give them both a going over before implementing. It will help you decide how fast to go. There isn't much to level 1.

So, I could start my 3rd grader at level 1 and fly through that, then start my 1st grader when big brother is on level 2? It certainly would not hurt the younger one to hold off on spelling for a month... :001_smile:

It would definately be better for my 3rd grader if younger brother was not on the same level as him in spelling!!

Thanks again!

So, I could start my 3rd grader at level 1 and fly through that, then start my 1st grader when big brother is on level 2? It certainly would not hurt the younger one to hold off on spelling for a month... :001_smile:

It would definately be better for my 3rd grader if younger brother was not on the same level as him in spelling!!

Thanks again!

That sounds like a good plan.

All About Spelling! I just started my 2nd grader in level one. So far it is very easy for him, and we made it to step 5 in one week. I plan for him to go through level one and two this year. I will start dd in level one when he is done with it.

Thanks so much, ladies! You are helping me a lot!

A follow up question - if my 3rd grader is going to fly through level 1 - does he need the student packet, or could the TM and the tiles be enough for us.... whereas I would use the student pack for my 1st grader as it will all be new for him....

I have not seen this in person so trying to base my decision on what I can find out here and on their site.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

A follow up question - if my 3rd grader is going to fly through level 1 - does he need the student packet, or could the TM and the tiles be enough for us.... whereas I would use the student pack for my 1st grader as it will all be new for him....

I have not seen this in person so trying to base my decision on what I can find out here and on their site.

You need the student packet. Each level comes with one student pack. They are non-consumable so you can reuse them with subsequent children but because you use some of the cards from Level 1 for Level 2 you will need to purchase an extra Level 1 student pack unless you hold off starting your younger child until the older one is in Level 3.

I'm sure she will chime in at some point, but Merry has been such a help to me. I hope she won't mind if I share the links to her blog. It has been such a help to me setting up my AAS. Her photos will help you bunches. Thanks Merry!

http://www.thechatterbee.com/profiles/blogs/getting-organized

http://hopeismyanchor.blogspot.com/2008/09/spelling-progress.html

I'm terrible at getting links to work. Hope these do!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl -

Could they share the cards?

I am thinking I would do spelling with them at separate times?

Just want to avoid overbuying, if you know what I mean!

It's not about needing them to do spelling at different times. The cards are filed behind different dividers based on what the student has mastered, what they need to review, etc. This is how you keep track of where each student is. I'm not sure how you could file them properly if you have 2 students using the same cards.

I'm sure Merry will know this but I think if you don't purchase another Level 1 student kit that you would need to buy another set of phonogram cards. I think each level adds phonogram cards but you might need to carry forward the phonogram cards from the previous levels, leaving additional students with the rest of the cards but minus the phonogram cards. Again, I'm not sure about this so make sure you find out from someone (like Merry) who know for sure.

If you are doing two kids on one level at the same time you need two sets of cards. The cards are filed and placed for where you are at in the lessons. Yes you need the student pack it contains all the cards, which are non consumable. The only thing I've seen that is consumable is the progress chart, but we aren't using it. You could easily make your own progress chart.

Thanks again!

This would solve the dilemma of whether to buy an extra student pack as well. I personally wouldn't as we didn't use most of the cards, so I already felt that they weren't the best use of my money. I would be upset if I had bought two sets... but that is just me.:D

I didn't read all the responses, but we started in K, so you can definitely start AAS in first grade. Since you will be getting Level 1 anyway, I would start them both on Level 1. But as others mentioned, let the 3rd grader progress faster if they can.

As for buying two student packs, it would be easier, then both could keep track of things mastered, and have their own sticker progress chart. But if I were trying to save money, I'd find a way to make due with just one pack.

Then again, reading the last few posts here, the third grader might be able to fly through level 1 quickly, then you don't have to worry about the sharing and just make your own progress chart. We flew through Level 2 in just a few months of working on it.

Sorry I missed this, I was on vacation :-).

It sounds like you might be able to use just the one materials packet. I would use it with your 3rd grader first, then start your 1st grader when the 3rd grader is done with it.

The progress chart is consumable, but you can print out extras of those for each level by emailing the company or going to their chat board--in the groups section for each level you can print out progress charts and completion certificates.

The times when you want separate materials packets:

If you are going to teach two or more kids on the same level at the same time but you won't be teaching them as a group.

If you have a child with dyslexia or other learning disabilities.

If you have a child who struggles with spelling and needs lots of review.

The first step in each level reviews the cards from previous levels, so you will need to "borrow" the cards back to do that step.

You can always start with one packet and get another later if you need a second one--or you could order an extra now and return it if you don't use it.

HTH! Merry :-)