Menu

Gardeners: a ? re drying basil

I was wondering if it was ok to dry basil outside in the sun. Everything I've read online talks about using a dehumidifier, warmed oven, etc.....but if I put them out on cooling racks covered with some cheesecloth in the sun, the leaves are dry in just a couple hours. I've got a lot of basil to process, and anything that works faster without being detrimental to the finished product is a good thing!

So, is it ok, or am I destroying some wonderful quality?

Oh - and if it's ok, can I do this with all my herbs?

I can't imagine why not. I mean, people have been drying herbs forever - even before ovens and such came about. Cooling racks with something to weight the corners of the cheese cloth (so it doesn't blow away) sounds fine. I've only ever thrown my herbs into paper bags and waited for them to dry - that works well, too, provided there is no wetness or moisture.

I think the reason it is suggested to dry them with a dehumidifier and in the oven is because basil is prone to growing mold if not dried quickly. I would think that if they are drying well in the sun in such a short amount of time it should be fine.

You can freeze basil leaves. Spread the leaves out on paper towels, roll them up and put into a plastic bag in the freezer. They stay green and pliable this way. Do not let the basil get wet, then they will turn black in the freezer. My MIL has done this for years.

HTH,

Kim

Thanks everyone! I'll have to try freezing some for my personal use - sounds interesting. I'm going to dry the majority though.....Hoping to give out some jars of them as Christmas gifts, along with homemade jams, sauces, rubs, etc. Glad to know that they should be ok drying in the sun.