Menu

Need resources for teaching hymns to kids

Aludlam

Does anyone have any suggestions for resources for teaching traditional hymns to kids? I'm looking at Passion Hymns for kids, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. I would love something that comes with a book and CD.

thanks

Angela

I like the Hymns for a Kids Heart Series (I think we have all 4 of them). We do use these a lot, but I was frustrated by having the words sung as we're trying to memorize as well as some of the selections. So I also have Hymns for Kith and Kin ($15 or $30 with a hymnal). We really like it. It is piano arrangements of hymns made to sing with. They also have a series for teaching singing in 4 parts, we don't have that yet, but when my kiddos get older, I probably will.

Either way, I put them on my mp3 player, made a playlist of hymns we know/have worked on and it makes them easy to play during our circle time and sing with.

We've used Hymns for a Kid's Heart vol two and vol 1 They are both great. I guess it would depend which has your favorite hymns. We've also enjoyed the Christmas vol and start practicing in October a new carol.

The book includes the music, CD with orchestra music with the voices, a story of the composer, and a life application.

Only drawback, CD does not have instrument only.

We've used Hymns for a Kid's Heart vol two and vol 1 They are both great. I guess it would depend which has your favorite hymns. We've also enjoyed the Christmas vol and start practicing in October a new carol.

The book includes the music' date=' CD with orchestra music with the voices, a story of the composer, and a life application.

Only drawback, CD does not have instrument only.[/quote']

hmmmm, hadn't thought about Christmas.

We started off with the book 101 Hymn Stories (the sheet music/lyrics for a hymn, with background story on the author of the lyrics and the composer of the music, plus any particular story about that specific hymn).

We went "solo" from there, just picking hymns, looking up, their stories, but mostly picking a traditional hymn and singing it each morning for a week, google-searching for free midi files as the instrumental accompaniment. Midi files play through the speakers of the computer, and usually the website has the lyrics right there, too, so we can see the lyrics on the computer screen. If not, I copy and paste the lyrics onto a text document page, and leave that up on the screen to see while we sing along with the Midi file.

For the months of November and December, we do the Christmas hymns. In the weeks before Easter, we focus on hymns with the themes of the cross and Jesus' sacrifice. In the weeks after Easter, we focus on hymns with the themes of His Victory and the Resurrection

Sometimes we do a "theme" for the month in which all the hymns are about a particular topic:

- an aspect of God's character/nature (power, sovereignty, love, holiness)

- Jesus -- His character and what He has done

- the cross

- forgiveness

- our response to the Lord

Here is a free resource: Ambleside Online Curriculum's Hymn Rotation Schedule = http://www.amblesideonline.org/Hymns.shtml; it is a list of hymns, when/how to schedule them, and a large list of websites with either free midi instrumental versions or plays you can purchase/download MP3 versions of hymns.

May hymn singing be as great a blessing for you and your family as it has been for ours! Warmest regards, Lori D.