Menu

automatic utility payment rant

We sold our home in April. We have received final utility bills from both electric and gas co. and they were paid. Today I log on to my bank account and the electric company has debited $500 from our checking account. I called them and spoke calmly at first. Then their rep realized there had been a mistake (they were still billing us, not the new owners) but told me," Well, ma'm you signed up for automatic debit so that's why we could take the money. You should cancel that so this doesn't happen again."

So, my bill payment method gives them the right to take money they are not owed?

Grrrr

Edited by rivendellmom
Grrr spelling

Honestly, I do like to have my household bills through bill pay, but I have had similar problems with places like my kids gym that messed up and debited when they shouldn't have. I no longer have those variable month to month charges on my bill pay.

I solved this kind of problem by having the bank send checks automatically for the same amount as having the company debit them. I have more control this way and, as a friend said, its not like they are going to send the money back when I overpay during lower usage months. It is working very well for us.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You should put them on hold for 25 minutes when you finally get a human, lol! :D