Menu

Square foot gardening question...

So, looking at a gardening blog someone linked to, a question has arisen that I have wondered about for quite a while. I have teh square foot gardening book. I set up my small garden bed that way. But after a while, the squares have become blurred, and basically, everything is just grownig everywhere now.

My question is...I understand the benefit of the square foot garden over planting lines of a single species. I dont umderstand the benefit of a square foot garden over just planting one of these here, and one of those there, and lets, see, its time to pull that out, I will put something in there..... in other words, my style seem to be "wild gardener" and I am wondering if I should reign in my wild impulses to plant anything all over the place at different times (taking note of height, light etc) , and bring more order to my garden again.

Is there some inherent benefit to having so much order in your vegetable patch? Or do you have order because one is supposed to have order in a garden patch?

I have had vegetable patches since I was a kid, but I am by no means an expert because I cant say many of them have been hugely successful, but I always put that down to my intermittant dedication to spending time with my garden.

First of all, Mel says in the book that you have to put the grid in to make it a square foot garden. Secondly, the reason for the grid is so you know how many of each plant to put in each square.

His philosophy for planting is different in that you plant your seeds the correct distance apart to begin with instead of planting your seeds close together and thinning them later. This saves your seeds so they last longer and it allows you to plant your squares more efficiently. It also helps you know exactly what is planted and where. If I know that there is only one head of cabbage planted in this square, then anything else that grows in that square is a weed. If I know I have 6 bean plants in this square and something else pops up, I don't have to guess, I just pull it.

So it's not about asthetics as much as it's about function. Do you have his original book or his new one? I know in his new book he goes through the explanation for doing it this way pretty thoroughly and it makes a lot of sense. Plus, it's pretty!

Edited by Paintedlady

The first thing that comes to my mind is knowing what is a weed and what is a vegetable or herb. Plants all can look very similar when sprouting. If you know you planted squash in the left corner, you can hoe away at any grass looking type weeds, because squash comes up in a distinctive large two leaf pattern. If you've planted something like cilantro, you may have to wait a few days to see which sprout is the real thing.

Also, it helps to know what plants are good companions and what plants do not do well following another the next season. I keep trying to hide from our squash bugs by rotating my squash around the garden each year. Of course, on a small plot it won't make much difference.....they always find what they're looking for!

Personally, I have tried square foot gardening, and it doesn't work for me, but I've got enough space to plant things in rows and raised beds. I use some of the principles, but I struggled with some plants shading others and inhibiting their growth.

OK, thanks, there are two reasons, but neither seem relevent to me.

I did have a grid, but I made it with string and stakes...so it wasnt hard to let it lapse.

Firstly, what is wrong with just planting the seed here and there, as you would a seedling? Thats what I do- if they dont come up, I plant it again a bit later.

I wouldn't just randomly sprinkle seeds...I just plant them where I want them. I find a spare spot, I plant a seed.

And...the other issue is I guess not an issue because I have a raised, no dig garden bed and there simply are no weeds. So weeds are a non issue.

There IS something growing in my garden that I have no idea what it is, but I know I planted it at some stage, and I am waiting for some sort of fruit or flower to identify it- or it may be a Chinese leafy veg. Other than that, I know what most plants look like.

I dont mean to say my way is superior...I am just wondering if I am missing out on something.

Firstly, what is wrong with just planting the seed here and there, as you would a seedling? Thats what I do- if they dont come up, I plant it again a bit later.

I wouldn't just randomly sprinkle seeds...I just plant them where I want them. I find a spare spot, I plant a seed.

And...the other issue is I guess not an issue because I have a raised, no dig garden bed and there simply are no weeds. So weeds are a non issue.

Same here :D

He wants you to use the squares to get his preferred spacing. I can't do that here because those spacings are too close for this climate. I also prefer a more random approach and find that it discourages pests. I have an area with tomatoes, borage and cosmos, another with beans, dill and marigolds, and a few areas w/ volunteers so random they are funny looking. :) Just a few examples...

hth,

Georgia

My beds are rather wild. I do companion planting and it's a bit of a riot in some of the beds. One bed has enchinacea, marigolds, swiss chard, lettuce, peas, beans. Another has cucumbers, marigolds, petunias, nasturiams, bok choy. The tomatoes are in with the green peppers and eggplants, plus basil and marigolds etc

The tomato beds are out of control, and I am forever trying to nip and trim them. The beds are nitrogen -rich from composted chicken poop, so the greenery is immense, although I see quite a few blossoms and tomatoes.

OK, thanks, there are two reasons, but neither seem relevent to me.

I did have a grid, but I made it with string and stakes...so it wasnt hard to let it lapse.

There IS something growing in my garden that I have no idea what it is, but I know I planted it at some stage, and I am waiting for some sort of fruit or flower to identify it- or it may be a Chinese leafy veg. Other than that, I know what most plants look like.

I dont mean to say my way is superior...I am just wondering if I am missing out on something.

Like I said before, square foot gardening didn't work for me. What's funny is you and I don't like it for opposite reasons. You want to be more "wild" with gardening, and SF gardening is way too wild for me. I want my plants sectioned off by type (although I do plant different flowers and herbs around to discourage pests). I couldn't stand all those squares having different things!

I do know people with smaller plots have realized that they can garden and utilize vertical space to their advantage using SFG methods. I know several people who have found the courage to start gardening using the SF book, but have then moved on after they learn what works for them.

I'm jealous that your raised beds have no weeds! That's just not true for me, even though we imported clean soil. Maybe because we have a lot of woods around bringing lots of birds and breeze?

I say, forget the squares, have fun wildly gardening! ;)