Menu

My Father's World vs. Mystery of History

calicoty

I have never used MOH but my family loves MFW. It is well put together (you don't feel like there are gaps), easy to implement, has a great balance of reading and activities, and it is interesting and fun. I often see people stressing about thier curriculum and getting it done, feeling like thier kids are learning etc. etc. and I never worry about that because MFW is doable and complete and my kids are loving learning.

HTH!

I have not used MOH either. However, I know several people who use MFW and love it! They tell me the retention is awesome and that Countries and Cultures also give the children a heart for the people of that country.

One friend described it this way - 'If you take God out of some curricula their flow doesn't really change, but if you try to take God out of MFW it falls apart.'

HTH

MFW users here. :001_smile: Just a few things I love about MFW that MOH doesn't have:

-- Science

-- Art

-- Music

-- Book Basket

-- Reading (sometimes) large portions of Scripture rather than just a few verses here and there)

-- Big emphasis on memorizing Scripture

-- Practical application of Scripture (what's the point of me learning all this Bible, and what's it got to do with history?)

-- Easy-to-follow weekly grid for lesson plans, with space to write in all your other subjects (math & LA, etc.)

-- Long list of non-consumable supplies that will be used throughout the year (located at the front of the TM)

-- Short list of consumables needed for the week, which is found at the beginning of each week's lessons

-- MFW author has pre-read every single book and educational video title that's on the Book Basket list and noted where there's possible questionable content that might not be appropriate for some families/kids. (IOW, she's put a LOT of time into hand-picking all the books and videos that are included.)

-- MFW author and her family have been missionaries in Russia, and are still very involved in Bible translation, so everything they put into the curriculum is from the heart because they've BTDT.

I could go on and on.... :lol:

I always like to recommend that a "looker" print out all the sample lessons of all the years of MFW, and read through them in order so that you can get an idea of where you're headed if you stay with MFW long term. Well, you can do this with any curriculum, really, but doing this is one of the things that led me to start with MFW in the first place (about 5 years ago). I've used every year of MFW elementary, as well as now using AHL (9th grade). As far as I can tell right now, we'll finish out with it, too.

Also, you might consider getting one or all of the conference CDs. These were very helpful to both dh and I to help us see both the philosophy and methods behind MFW. http://www.mfwbooks.com/workshops.htm

I love MOH because I can make my own schedule , choose my own books ( mostly from SL list and All through the ages ) , it's complete & Christian . I like to choose my own science , Bible , etc and hate following someone's schedule , so MFW wouldn't work for me.

I also use SOTW CD's which we love.

MOH has a great yahoo group with supplemental books , schedule to combine SOTW or Sonlight ,memory cards (which I use for copywork & memory work) etc

If you like to pick and choose your own Bible , science, copywork ,readers etc , you would be happy with MOH if you like following someone else's schedule for all these , MFW would work .

I love MOH because I can make my own schedule , choose my own books ( mostly from SL list and All through the ages ) , it's complete & Christian . I like to choose my own science , Bible , etc and hate following someone's schedule , so MFW wouldn't work for me.

I also use SOTW CD's which we love.

MOH has a great yahoo group with supplemental books , schedule to combine SOTW or Sonlight ,memory cards (which I use for copywork & memory work) etc

If you like to pick and choose your own Bible , science, copywork ,readers etc , you would be happy with MOH if you like following someone else's schedule for all these , MFW would work .

Actually if you want MOH but also want all of those other things scheduled, you can look at Illuminations.

We really like MOH here!

Merry :-)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Same here.

We did 12-13 weeks of MFW Creation to the Greeks. I love the idea of MFW, but it doesn't mesh well with our family (or rather ME). It's really hard for me to do any Unit Study because we can't seem to stay "up to date" in all subject areas. That gets me overwhelmed and then I don't function properly. :001_smile:

This year we will use MOH II. I'm really looking forward to it. It's just World/Church History. I can schedule it any way that I like and it won't mess up whatever we do for Science, etc.

Actually if you want MOH but also want all of those other things scheduled, you can look at Illuminations.

We really like MOH here!

Merry :-)

Or Biblioplan! ;) They schedule all 3 levels of learners, and have readers, and optional writing assignments. There is map and timeline work as well.

I love MFW, I even recommend it to some of my friends who do not feel comfortable going it alone. I have used a few years, but all in all we are happier doing our own thing.

Edited by Free Indeed