Menu

s/o: Paying For "Women's Work"

Halifax Regional Municipality. :D Are you applying for jobs here?

We're thinking of heading down in September so my husband can check out the job situation. If you happen to know of anything in management in the IT sector, please let me know. :)

Also, I'd love to arrange to get together for tea when we're in town! It would be so nice to meet you in person. :D

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know my head from a hole in the ground considering the Canadian economy, so I'll just comment on the one aspect I know that pertains to non-US economies: Pharmaceuticals.

The reason pharmaceuticals "cost so much less" to non-US nations is (generally) because the majority of pharmaceutical research is conducted in the United States. If one searches scholar.google.com for any given prescription drug, one will find thousands of articles in major medical journals. A few articles will be submitted by Japanese scientists, several by French, a handful here and there by Australians, and Swedes and that is about it. Pretty much as a rule, Germans do no research at all, other than tagging along on US papers.

What does this mean? The cost of that research is wrapped into the price of said medications sold in the US market. Other nations, who are not funding this research, argue that they should not pay a premium for these medications to fund this research, and negotiate lower prices for said medications (hence the "drugs are cheaper in Canada and India" comments one hears).

So, in the aggregate, the US is subsidizing a significant portion of healthcare costs for the rest of the world by coming up with new drugs and testing them for safety while not passing along those costs to anyone but US consumers.

It is a win-win for the rest of the world. Until the US decides it isn't worth the cost any longer. Like in a couple of years when it moves towards a more socialized medical system.

I'm not even going to address the cost of promoting these medications (and how to prescribe them properly), which is another behemoth altogether.

a

Before ya'll move up here, you might want to check out one of those old "Let's Compare Grocery Prices" threads, lol.

Ssshhhhh!!!! Isn't this frugal business all about adapting to where you are?:D

I admit, prices for groceries and toiletries were a huge shock to me when I first moved to Canada, nevermind that 15% tax (Ontario, 1993) on top of it all. But, I've adapted! :D

Gaelic? French? :D

I can teach German or Spanish. My dds would LOVE to learn Gaelic. I once looked at a school up there that has Gaelic camps in the summer. I forget what it was called.

As you can tell, moving to Canada is not a new idea in this house. :)

I can teach German or Spanish. My dds would LOVE to learn Gaelic. I once looked at a school up there that has Gaelic camps in the summer. I forget what it was called.

Yeah. Sheesh. Let me tell you guys - I tried to get her to move down here, but she won't do it. Something about giant bugs and alligators roaming free....:lol::lol::lol:

I wonder if allegiant air flies to Nova Scotia?:tongue_smilie:

Yeah. Sheesh. Let me tell you guys - I tried to get her to move down here, but she won't do it. Something about giant bugs and alligators roaming free....:lol::lol::lol:

The alligators are the deal-breaker. I go no further south than SC, northern SC!

The alligators are the deal-breaker. I go no further south than SC, northern SC!

I've only read about a few alligators in the Midlands... but I've never seen them. (Of course I mostly stay inside... and when one of those giant bugs appears I shriek and leave the house. Such a wimp.)

I'm sure you could find work teaching Spanish and German here.

I know the school you mean, but I can't think of the name of it.

Hey, I didn't say anything about alligators!!!!!! Although my one ride through Alligator Alley was enough for me. :lol::lol::lol: Yeah, see, people post here about their different regions, and those post about huge bugs? And poisonous snakes getting into their homes? Nope. No thank you.