Menu

ecoming a lawyer-good classes to begin with

Does your daughter like math and science? Law schools get tons of history and political science majors, so they're often really receptive to science majors. Even if she doesn't intend to focus on, say, patent law, a STEM degree might be a real advantage when it comes to getting into law school and landing a job.

If not, I would say just focus on American history and government (I'm assuming she'd plan on a law school in the US). If she leaves high school with a solid understanding of the Constitution and governmental issues, she might be able to write a thesis in college that builds on that knowledge and impresses law schools.

And the LSAT relies on lots of logic puzzles, so any logic experience she has won't hurt.

Really, though, I wouldn't worry too much. At least when I was in law school, there were students from every academic discipline, including a surprising number of drama majors (actors make excellent litigators).

While in high school - logic, public speaking & debate, Constitutional law

My law school class also contained a variety of undergraduate degrees.

I did my undergraduate in Accounting and have a CPA. History and government will only get you so far. MANY law school courses are business-related.

I majored in government before I went to law school. You can, however, major in anything. The ones who seemed to do best in law school were the mathematicians as they were very logical and got to the point. Some of the rest of us were a little too wordy.:001_smile: Law school teaches you a new way of thinking and writing and those with the math and science degrees who did not have to undo what they had learned seemed to be at an advantage.

Depending on the type of law you want to practice, speech or debate can also help. I became a litigator (court room) so the ability to speak well and argue my point is an asset. There are other types of law that are transactional in nature and this is not as important.

These days, the ability to attract clients is incredibly important, ie to be a "rainmaker." Therefore, social skills and business skills are more relevant than ever.

HTH

Lynn